yup

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pvassil3
pluggin' in mics

yup

Post by pvassil3 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:08 pm

alright so i have not been on this board long at all but let me list what i have gotten from you guys. im going to full sail and it is a waste of money. yea no one works after they get out of full sail you are all right!!!! oh shit, wtf i was just on there website and looked at the billboard list and there were about two full sail grads that have worked on every album. i have gotten great advice from all of you and i have been thinking about it. i should keep the full sail money and go intern because im sure my future employer will be more than happy to see that i have scrubbed toilets and got coffee for people then an education!?! yup. so i would like to just say thanks and i am leaving for full sail this sunday and i will let you know if i end up living under a bridge after and hating my life because of full sail.... which i highly doubt will happen.
Stop, collaborate and listen.

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: yup

Post by maz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:13 pm

wow, enjoy yourself.

All anyone ever says about Full Sail or other places like it is that there is a HUGE PROPORTION of people who go there and expect it to be a "give me a GRAMMY" ticket (which everyone knows that just being in LA is that anyway).

Obviously, just going to Full Sail is not going to get you on that list. Ever compared the total number of past students to that list? Hmmmm.... it's all about perspective.

Go to Full Sail or don't, I guarantee none of us care which you choose. But when you graduate, keep in mind that it's still hard work. You'll STILL intern and clean toilets and make coffee!!! Yes, even with your great degree!! And your coffee won't taste better because of it. You're gonna have to fight the urge to feel like you know a lot of stuff 'cause in the real world, you still won't.

I went to the University of Miami for jazz guitar- a really exclusive program. So did a couple others on this board. I learned a ton. But you know what? My degree does not play my guitar. No one cares about my degree. I had to take a couple years after school just to remember what it's about. School is a great thing in many ways but it also messes with your mind.

Well, I'm so glad you got us all figured out in 25 posts. If I were you I'd skip the whole school thing and just petition the grammy guys to give you one right now!!!!

Cellotron
tinnitus

Re: yup

Post by Cellotron » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:45 pm

Having gone the whole damn 4 years and even gotten the piece of paper from Berklee saying I have a BM (ummm... no not "bowel movement", Bachelors of Music!) I can tell you that whether it is worth it really comes down to you. I was EXTREMELY fortunate in that I had parents willing & able to pay for it - so I came out of school pretty much debt free. If it hadn't been that way I most likely wouldn't have stayed for the full 4 as although it was a ton cheaper then than it is now I'm not sure if the expense would have been bearable considering that I just wanted to work as a musician at the time and knew that my income would be low once I got out of school. I had a number of friends that dropped out and some of them are actually just as if not more successful in music than I've been.

Main thing is that I got a chance to be in the middle of a great music scene (Boston in the mid 80s - it's not half as good now as far as I can tell). Overall I think I learned a ton more from just working in bands at the time, from fellow students and from private teachers that I found outside of the school than from the curriculum itself. Really - while I hated a lot of the time spent there and didn't value a lot of it at the time the lessons didn't kick in until years afterwards - and now I'm really glad I went. As far as jobs: it might have helped me get my first bass students when I advertised "study with a Berklee grad" in the classifieds in my home town (Baltimore) where I went back to after graduating - but my first studio job came from knowing someone who was quitting his gig that I took over and from having hung out at the place for a bit before and had nothing to do with my degree whatsoever.

So - go for it - keep attentive & get the most you can out of it - keep realistic as to what kind of "job" in the "industry" it can give you once you're "out" - and just enjoy making & recording music.

Best regards,
Steve Berson