Looking to check out monitors in the Chicagoland area

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Looking to check out monitors in the Chicagoland area

Post by cashed checks » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:07 am

I'm in the hunt for some monitors for home use and based on recomendations from this board I want to do some side by side comparisons. I had it narrowed down to the Tapco, M-Audio and Alesis powered 8" models.

I have been able to check out the M-Audio and Alesis models alongside the HR824's(which i've used before) and they sound like absolute dog shite--totally night and day. I didn't think the cheaper stuff would actually be that much worse! So now I'm on the hunt for a pair of the Tapco's to check out, thinking that because they're "by mackie" they have a chance to come the closest.

Guys, i need some help... where can i go to check out the Tapco's without some douche asking me to "Check out these Fostex...they sing" every five minutes. Uhhhg! (FYI: the fostex where so muddy i'm suprised they didn't say Sony on them)

I know the arguement that it's worth saving up for the big boy toys but i've already blown that wad of cash and i need SOMETHING.

If those don't do it for me i think i'm just going to go with some nice Polk bookshelf speakers and a separate amp.

METHODOLOGY BEHIND CHOOSING MONITORS???
I've checked the archives but haven't really found anything on the methodology of picking monitors. Is it trully just going with what "sounds best to you?" The Polk speakers I've found have quite a nice freq range (40-130) but I've heard bookshelf cabs can be more "hyped" in certain freq compared to "official" monitors. I did think they held up well compared to the M-Audio and Alesis speakers and even came out cheaper with having to buy a separate power amp. Are bookshelf speakers not "true?"

awolski
buyin' gear

Re: Looking to check out monitors in the Chicagoland area

Post by awolski » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:21 am

As for a cool, low-pressure pro audio dealer in the Chicagoland area I haven't found one yet, and would be interested in what others might suggest.

Don't rule out the Events if you haven't heard them yet. I'm pretty happy with my Project Studio 8's (sort of 20/20bas' little brother) and I have heard good things about the newer and cheaper TU series.

The idea is that bookshelf speakers, and consumer speakers in general, are designed to be flattering. So you might not get as critical of a picture from them as you would with flatter monitors. And bookshelf speakers in general might not have enough bass, leading you to mix with too much bass. But I think what counts is to have speakers you know, to help create results that are "portable".

Plus the acoustics of your mixing environment are a big factor. If you can get some monitors you might be interested with a 30-day money back guarantee like at the big chain stores, maybe you can audition them where you will actually mix, and return them if you don't like them.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:40 pm

there was some talk about this a few weeks back on ye olde chicago tapeop list that you might find useful:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ch ... p/messages

the "saturday audio exchange" messages are the ones you're looking for.

-nick

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:57 pm

Dude...the Event TR8-N's are terrific for the money.

Once my roommate and I went shopping for some monitor speakers, and we went to Guitar Center (in Chicago-the one on Halsted). We wanted to do a side-by-side comparison of all that the speakers they had. To start with, they had everything passed through some shitty compressor. I asked the guy that was helping us if he could pull the compressor out of the equation, and he said, "why would you want to do that?" And I said, "because I want to hear the speakers, not the compressor." Then he kept going off on how great the bass response is on the M-Audio BX-8's, and that we should get those. He said this after I told him that we were looking for some flat-sounding speakers that don't grossly accentuate the bass frequencies.

We ended up with the Events, because they seemed to give a pretty accurate representation of what we were feeding into them.

So, yeah...I wouldn't recommend going to Guitar Center to check out speakers unless you want some guy that doesn't know what he's talking about looking over your shoulder the whole time.

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:32 am

ok guys, i'll put the Events on my list of shit to check out, but i'm not holding my breath. i think after hearing and using higher end stuff there's no going back. the mid level stuff is around 500 a pair but i might as well buy someting smaller of the 250-300 variety.

since i'll be "settling" i might as well not get ripped off too.

this whole recording thing is such a fucking waiting game "someday... someday..."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:55 am

I really like my Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's, and they are in your range or even cheaper, altho' discontinued.

Also, I'm told the Yorkville monitors are a good bang for the buck, as well as what they said above.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 am

I heard some Tapco's at GAND music, not far from Chicago in Northfield, right up the Edens. http://www.gand.com

I think they had the 5" model. I wasn't in the market for them so I didn't listen too critically. They sounded pretty good for their size, though. They actually promote the fact that they boost bass frequencies, which I thought was kind of weird for a reference monitor.

Anyway, I was there about 2 months ago, call ahead to see if they have them still.

I ended up getting some Mackie 624's.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:45 pm

yeah, I commented on that Halsted in-line compressor thing before. I'm not sure they're still doing it. But I HAVE heard monitors there have the polarity flipped.

I used the TAPCO 5's for a few months, and they seemed good...but I'd definately get the 8's.

I'd say don't listen for frequency color...listen for the full range of different tones you can hear, and the detail. YOu can adjust color by tuning your room, and mastering of course.

BRING YOUR OWN CD, a mix of bass heavy, acoustic, bright, etc. See how they respond to variety.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:08 pm

The store I work at is only 8 hours away. We have the Alesis and Tapco and Mackie HR624 and Rolands and all types of nice stuff. If you're that desperate, come visit us. There's one in Omaha too, that's only 7 hours.

Ian

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:14 am

i am monster face wrote:The store I work at is only 8 hours away. We have the Alesis and Tapco and Mackie HR624 and Rolands and all types of nice stuff. If you're that desperate, come visit us. There's one in Omaha too, that's only 7 hours.
I'm on my way! A chance to stretch the legs of my Hyundai and meet some other TapeOp-ers! But no... work calls.

I have been bringing a mix cd i made with a bunch of different types of music with me, so that's coverred. I was just expecting more... the quality of cheap mics has gone up considerably and i figured it applied to most new audio gear. Nope. The detail is there but it also seems like certain frequencies were just missing and the whole picture doesn't gell like with the HR824s. I hate to be on the bandwagon of people championing one particular product, but everything just sounds 'right' on those mackie's.

too bad C.R.E.A.M., ain't got no dolla bills, yo.

cashed checks

Post by cashed checks » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:25 am

oh yeah, I'm totally stoked that you(monsterface) replied. you've got the best screen name here, and i am honored by your presence on my thread. gracias.