releasing stuff on your own

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Brian
resurrected

Re: releasing stuff on your own

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:03 pm

"Create an Imix" Publish button on your itunes program make sure your album art is connected. That'n'a credit card, pretty simple.
Screw the labels, Nepotism, screw the "establishment", and the fucking prolateriat!
Harumph!

mojomonkee
audio school

Post by mojomonkee » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:37 pm

pugwawa wrote: I think most people would be surprised how many very well known bands are barely braking even.....nothing is worse than being famous and broke, with nothing to show for all the work & time you've put into it.
except for, ya know, the music you made.

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:35 pm

You know something - it is part work and part luck and part connections and part thick headedness and part thick skinnedness.

Make the best records you can possibly make based on your time and budget constraints. Your legacy of your artistic efforts are those records.

And if you get a "deal" with someone who actually has money, you might not get what you want anyway. People who give you money actually want things from you that you may not want to give away... like future royalties or paying for 'expenses.' If your true friend puts out your record, you probably won't stay friends - putting out CDs is fucking stressful and if you can even get the damn thing out, find a promotional firm that will take your money to work your record even slightly and scare up some decent reviews in something at least as decent as The Big Takeover, you are damn lucky - even if it came out of your day wages. Most kids will listen to your single MP3, promoted for a fee at Pitchfork, hosted by you and never surf to InSound to buy the frigging thing- there is too much choice and too much good free stuff. Forget recouping your investments. If you are extra savvy, you could probably finagle a business loss on your taxes. More power to ya!

Do it because you love it and let the chips fall where they may.

Some jerks get lucky. Some get charity & some get real breaks and come out winners. Others don't. That's life!

-TimT

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:58 pm

comfortstarr wrote:Worse, they come the show and for some reason you'all pick that night to suck and hate each other all at the same time. It's enough to drive you to drink.
Ha! Don't I know it! That my friends is the story of my previous life!! They never come to the great shows, it's always the massacres.
lfg