MF Blowing out Pro VLA - $239

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: MF Blowing out Pro VLA - $239

Post by Rodgre » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 am

I went to order one over the phone and got a really rough time because i didn't physically have my catalog in front of me. I'm not even sure where mine is, as I think there's one at the studio, though we did some cleaning recently.... maybe my cousin has a catalog....

ugh

Roger

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:53 am

roger, just call back again. exact same thing happened to me. the next guy was easy and nice.

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:35 am

I just scored!! They have them in stock and I got it for the catalog price, no argument. I had to specifically ask for free shipping but they gave it to me no problem. And I always play off the sucker warranty as if I will add it later ("Sounds interesting but I don't have the $ now, can I add the warranty on later?"), that usually keeps the sales people friendly.

Anybody wanna buy a (1-channel tabletop) ART Levellar? Now that I am getting the Pro VLA I want to find a new home for its little brother. PM me if interested. My Levellar was previously owned by Ampguy. Maybe he ran a guitar track through it!!!!!!!!!!

By contrast, ZZounds had Pro VLAs for $349.99. When MF was out of stock I tried to get Zzounds to match the $239.99 since they say they will match any advertised price. I emailed and said I needed to fax in the catalog because it has a lower price than the website. First they told me the price on the web was $299 and they'd do $291. But I called to explain the catalog issue again, and they gave me a fax number to send it to. After 5 attempts I called and the operator said "that's not even our fax number - here try this one". So I faxed it and never heard back. I called and asked about it several hours later and they told me "No, there's no way to speed up the process". That was a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. I guess they don't live by their "guarantee".

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:48 am

I got one of these after reading the review in TapeOp, and just after reading the first 3 pages of posts I counted six people that stated they purchased the VLA and all it took was Ranches initial post to start a feeding frenzy on this thing. Seems to me that MF and ART owe TapeOp a huge thank you and some large ad space in future issues!

-L
Last edited by Leopold on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:12 pm

I never would have bought mine if it were not for tapeop... especially this forum - so ditto to that. (btw, I now cannot live without this thing - my crappy Fender bass that I got for free and needs new strings has never sounded so good!)
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:35 am

What does this catalog look like on the cover? I have their "21st Anniversay Sale" one but I couldn't find the ART in there.

Been wanting one of these for a while.

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:12 am

It's the "Fall 2004 Buyer's Guide" copy - the ART is not with the other pres and compressors, it's near the end with the assorted sale items. It's....pg. 206 to be exact. I probably would have skipped right over it if I hadn't seen this on the TapeOp board.

Does anybody like the (also on sale) Tube Channel or Pro Channel? Or do they sound exactly like you'd expect an ART preamp to sound?

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 am

Hi awolski.

I have the ART Pro Channel. It is a channel strip made up of their other "PRO" line products.

It is one channel of the ART PRO MPA preamp which is a pretty good sounding preamp. I'd say its colored (wether that is in a good or bad way is up to you). It is in a different league than the other ART stuff (it isnt starved plate). I'd say when you really crank the gain it distorts in an unpleasant way but that could be because it just has MASSIVE amounts of gain to use. Somewhere in its gain range you will probably find something workable. I would say it can be used as a character sounding preamp to compliment a FMR RNP for example. Sound quality is definitely in that range. This is actually good useable stuff. That being said .. to be totally honest I don't completely like it but I also don't like my UA M610 so maybe I'm wierd. Something in my head keeps telling me they have similar characteristics.

It also has one channel of the PRO VLA compressor. We all know how good this is. I just ordered the PRO VLA though because I wanted 2 channels of it.

The Pro Channel also has an eq in it. As far as "real" eq I'd say its horrible and I never use it for eq'ing things. It has entirely too many knobs and functions and just the slightest turn of any knob will either totally thin out the sound or make it woofy. All of these complaints, however, MAKE IT A GREAT EFFECT. I use this eq alot as an effect or to really mangle sounds. Since I'm not blown away by the pre and find the eq only useable as an effect, what I find myself doing here and there is when recording something stereo... for a weird sound... record the left into a "normal" set up and the then right into the pro channel to impart the pre's color and totally mangle the sound with the eq.

If youre not looking for something with two channels I'd say that the Pro Channel is great for that price because at $300 I'd say the compressor is easily worth 150 and the eq (as an effect) is worth 150 also. You can plug into each part separately so you can use this on 3 different sources at once (one into the pre, one into the compressor, and one into the eq)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:03 am

If I could just get one of the "respected" tape-oppers to endorse my band, we'd go platinum! ;)

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:16 pm

awolski wrote:It's the "Fall 2004 Buyer's Guide" copy - the ART is not with the other pres and compressors, it's near the end with the assorted sale items. It's....pg. 206 to be exact. I probably would have skipped right over it if I hadn't seen this on the TapeOp board.

Does anybody like the (also on sale) Tube Channel or Pro Channel? Or do they sound exactly like you'd expect an ART preamp to sound?
Thanks, would you happen to have the "code" that I have heard is asked for? OR should I just kepe calling back until they take my order?

Also anyone compared this to something like the UAD or Sonalksis compressors? I already have some great software comps, Sonalksis and Creamware. The creamware stands up to my now sold dbx 160sl blue, and the Sonalksis seemed as good or better than the UAD La2a. Just wondering if this is worth it or not. I'm mainly thinking it would be nice for the 2 buss to get a little tube action.

Jesse

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:14 pm

Something's wrong with channel one of my PRO VLA. Whether linked or not, channel one sounds odd, like lower gain than the second channel. Sometimes it does a sort of cutting in and out thing. WTF? Maybe something got banged loose in shipping...? Everything else in the chain is fine.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:01 am

*sigh* I waited and waited for this post to slip away so that I wouldn't have to buy one.

Too late. :wink:

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:19 pm

naughty naughty

I had the urge to grab one, but I am being good. I am going to give myself a cookie now.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Jaws of Hell
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jaws of Hell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:30 pm

that cookie would be 1/239th of a Pro VLA

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:21 pm

Jaws of Hell wrote:that cookie would be 1/239th of a Pro VLA
LOFL! :lol:

My mind was going the same direction....
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs