MF Blowing out Pro VLA - $239

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Corin
gettin' sounds

Re: MF Blowing out Pro VLA - $239

Post by Corin » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:16 am

Anybody out there get the right order? I'm expecting mine today and I don't have high hopes. Damn Musician's Fiend.

jackmac
audio school graduate

Post by jackmac » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:36 pm

I received the pro channel instead of the pro vla. Chances are your going to get the pro channel. Of course I had to check out the pro channel and I didn't care for anything but the compressor portion.

Jack

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:37 pm

this is just our payback for weaseling the reduced price.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:45 pm

xonlocust wrote: yeah, there sure are a hell of a lot of knobs and buttons on the pro channel. something with that many things you can dick with makes me inherently suspicious of all the hoops your audio has to jump through to get to the other side.
ever use an SSL? there are buttons that do nothing but move other buttons and knobs that are also buttons......then it'll talk shit to you for not pressing the right button!!!! hahahaha
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:49 pm

what do you all say we boycott Musicians Friend for the month of October?

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Ha.

I got a Pro Channel too but thats fine by me because I already had one Pro Channel. The compressors are the same as the Pro VLA so now I have a pair anyway. My initial intent was to buy the VLA so Id have a pair of the compressors and sell my Pro Channel because I didnt like the pre and I didnt like the eq (and I wanted a pair of the compressors) but now I'll hang onto it.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:33 pm

i got a vla, but there was some confusion when i ordered. the product number kept coming up with the pro channel when they brought it up in the computer.

good to get in early, i guess...

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:38 pm

looking at the back of the Pro Channel it looked like you could go into the EQ or the Comp seperatly from the pre, I could wrong about that though.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:32 pm

erich wrote:So when items are "blown out" through MF, how does that translate to the supply of said item, say six months from now? Will MF still have them? Will they still be available from other retailers?
No comments on this???
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

hank hill
pluggin' in mics

Post by hank hill » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Hi Red Rockets.

Yes you can go into each part separately. Thats why I say I might as well keep the Pro Channel they sent me since I already have another. The comp is the same as the VLA except that I'll have to manually set the knobs the same. No big deal considering the pre is useable and while the EQ is awful for anything serious it really makes a great effect. So its cool that I have a pair now. Last night I used each of the eqs into this wierd Alesis thing that was sort of like a theramin. I think it was called an "Air FX" Hey Tape Opers!! these AIR FX are great!!!

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:24 am

What about stereo linking to keep the compressors sidechains aligned (summed)? Won't you lose this ability?

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:27 am

erich wrote:
erich wrote:So when items are "blown out" through MF, how does that translate to the supply of said item, say six months from now? Will MF still have them? Will they still be available from other retailers?
No comments on this???
Hey Erich,

It's hard to speculate without any insider knowledge, but I noticed nobody else has a price this low for a new VLA, and Zzounds wouldn't even match the advertised price, so I would guess that MF just got a hold of way more products than they can sell normally, or maybe they are clearing house? I would think that if it were going off the market everyone would have about the same price, but again who knows?

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:30 am

I figure I'll just track with the Pro Channel all weekend and then send it back Monday. I love "borrowing" equipment.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:30 am

awolski wrote:
erich wrote:
No comments on this???
Hey Erich,

It's hard to speculate without any insider knowledge, but I noticed nobody else has a price this low for a new VLA, and Zzounds wouldn't even match the advertised price, so I would guess that MF just got a hold of way more products than they can sell normally, or maybe they are clearing house? I would think that if it were going off the market everyone would have about the same price, but again who knows?
Or else MF got their hands on ART's b-stock and refurbs.... My box had it's tape already cut (not to mention that there was a Pro Channel inside)

I called this morning, asking if they were SURE they had Pro VLAs still in stock, because I'd just as soon keep the Pro Channel if I wasn't ever going to get my Pro VLA, and they said they did, and they said they'd check mine before they sent it out to make sure I got a compressor next time.

Irritating.

Roger

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:44 am

I just got a pro ch. instead of a VLA too!!

Adam