anyone ever record in boston?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
d-bolan
gettin' sounds

anyone ever record in boston?

Post by d-bolan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:47 pm

My band is checking out different studios for a record we want to record over the winter. We don't have a budget plan as of yet so we're looking at pretty much any studio between the 300 bucks a day to the 1000 bucks a day range. We're hoping to do analog. The cheapest place i've found that does analog is called moontower. They have 1 inch 16track and a soundcraft I believe. It seems like a modest studio, but with more than enough gear to make it sound great. Plus they're only like 350 a day. Just wondering about other peoples experiences with boston studios.
call me rabbit fighter

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: anyone ever record in boston?

Post by djgout » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:00 pm

yeah, i record in boston all the time. i work at Waltz Audio... we've got great live rooms,probably the best in the city. we do have a 2" 24 track but digital consoles and the 2" hasn't been used in about a year *nobody can really afford tape anymore, which is sad*. our normal rates are in the middle of your price range but i might be able to work out a deal. check out the website http://www.waltzaudio.net the pics are kinda old but you'll get the gist of things.

some other studios that might fit your needs better *places that do analog more often* that i would recommend checking out are wooly mammoth, there was an interview with it's owner dave minnehan in a recent tapeop, or possibly que division, though both of those places are a bit pricier.we primarily record to protools but in the end we sound just as good or better.
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

darnell
takin' a dinner break

Post by darnell » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:02 pm

Q Division is great, as is the old Fort Apache (I think it's now Camp Street Studios) Not sure about rates, but definately check into both.

There's also the studio that the drummer from Morphine runs. Not sure of a contact, but it is Boston, so just ask around. I have never recorded there, but I have heard excellent praise.

God City if your metal/HC. Kurt is a great guy.

Hope that helps
Daryl Rabidoux

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:49 am

I don't know how much it costs these days, but Rear Window is a godsend. In Brookline.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:43 am

I'm planning on working some sessions out of Dave Minehan's Woolly Mammoth over the fall and winter. His rates are on the low side of your budget and he's got 2" 24 track, and Protools HD, a sweet live room and lots of groovy gear.

And you're basically two blocks from Fenway Park.

Roger

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:53 am

If in Boston, and able to do the 1k a day thing, I'd recommend begging Sean Slade to give your tracks a listen for possible recording at Q Division. The man is a f'n genius.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:12 am

I've had good experiences at Camp St. And i've heard good things about (and records from) Pete Weiss' Zippa and Dave Minehan's Wooly Mammoth. There are definitely loads of other people doing good work.