The Necessity of Compressors?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
burn
pushin' record

The Necessity of Compressors?

Post by burn » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm don't have a lot of experiences in recording, but i'm REALLY interrested by that, I start to build my own little home analog studio, and I was wondering about the necessity of compressors. I mostly dig organic, natural sounds, 60s rock/garage, old school country , blues, old r'n'b, soul, 70s punk... Most studios have tons of expensive compressors, but if I start recording bands and don't use somes, will it sound "low budget" ?

andrew embassy
george martin

Re: The Necessity of Compressors?

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:56 pm

I'd put a compressor as the effect/treatment I use most often. No compression won't necessarily sound bad, but it certainly wont' sound modern, and it will probably sound low budget, unless you're way good.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:00 pm

You probably won't care at first...

once you reach a spot where you can't solve the problem with what you have, the answer will most likely be that you need a compressor.

:-)

-TimT

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:10 pm

without a compressor, your recordings will be very dynamic. guh.
going one way down a wrong way street

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:17 pm

the recordings will be dynamic, but they'll be incredibly soft and wont pack the punch that "pro recordings" have. perceived volume difference could be as much as 15dB in my experience if you avoid clipping. thats less the 1/4 of the volume of a modern mix.

whether one sounds better or worse, people notice that first and foremost as the difference between home and pro recordings.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:20 pm

Just in terms of difficult sources like vocals... I listened to a basement tape from years back, one that I thought really sounded good. This time, it was "whoops - too bad we didn't have a compressor for the vocals", because the lead vocal level was all over the place.

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:36 pm

I agree with you I need a comp on vox, but what else really need comp? bass drum? Most of the time I record the bass through the amp so no need to comp, same thing for guitars.

Also, what are your suggestions of a "not too bad" compressor on low $$. Some people told me it's better not to mess with a comp unless it's a real good one. I forgot to tell, I record on tape and I use tape compression a lot, I record really hot

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:42 pm

burn wrote:I agree with you I need a comp on vox, but what else really need comp? bass drum? Most of the time I record the bass through the amp so no need to comp, same thing for guitars.

Also, what are your suggestions of a "not too bad" compressor on low $$. Some people told me it's better not to mess with a comp unless it's a real good one. I forgot to tell, I record on tape and I use tape compression a lot, I record really hot
fmr rnc is great to learn the parameters of compression, plus seems like a quality piece.

if you want to cheap out, dbx 163's + art levelars are going for $40+
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:43 pm

I guess I'll chime in here with the old "do a search on this message board for RNC (really nice compressor)"
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:36 pm

SPX 90?

You could use it for comping bass / kick / snare / vox / clean electric guitar during tracking, then double it as an effects unit during mixing.

Just a thought...

I do like the RNC, too. Also for drums someone (sorry whoever you are, I've got a memory like a sieve) recommended the 163 / 163X compressors. They go for $50 a pop on EBay and are not at all clean sounding, but add a great colour.

Cheers + good luck,

Johann

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:46 pm

Then there's software compression too. I don't have any outboard compressors, I use the compression that's built in to Samplitude. I don't know how it compares to "real" compressors, but it seems to do the job. What do you guys think who have access to both? It seems like the real thing is the clear winner, but I'm curious to know how close you think the digital version comes, or if there's no comparison at all. Quit making me buy more gear! :evil: :D

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 pm

It'll make it sound natural, instead of over-produced and artificial. Not too many people like this sound anymore... But that's the way it goes...
Tangent Studios

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:39 pm

It depends on the plugin BIG time.

I'm quite pleased with CreamWare's compressors. I can squeeze the crap out of a kick drum and I can't even tell there's a compressor on it.

But I usually go to outboard when I want some colour, that extra (albeit subtle) grunge filling up the spectrum and filling in the space.

There are other reasons to go outboard -- specific compressors give you specific signatures -- but for me the colour really is the main reason.

Also since I don't have very many of them, I tend to use outboard compressors across the buses. I stick to plugins for extra track-by-track compression.

$0.02. Cheers,

Johann

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:51 pm

The way I explain to folks who are new to mixing is this:
The PAN control on your mixer allows you to move instruments from right to left to create the stereo image.
The REVERB you add will help to send things to the back of the mix OR will make the instrument sound like it's in a larger room.
The COMPRESSION you add will bring things to the front of the mix OR will hold it steady in one place so it doesn't jump forward and back.

Obviously the volume of each track will effect the front to back mix, but you can only push the volume so far up before the loudest parts start to get too loud and distort. A compressor is nothing more than an automatic volume controller that can turn the sound up when it is too soft, and down when it is too loud. How each compressor achieves that is slightly different, and the tone they may impart can be very different, but the concept is the same.

-J

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:15 pm

burn wrote:I agree with you I need a comp on vox, but what else really need comp? bass drum? Most of the time I record the bass through the amp so no need to comp, same thing for guitars.

i know engineers who've been at it for 10-15 years who still haven't figured out your last sentence so you're off to a good start. if it doesn't need it, you really don't need it. compression as an effect is like las vegas, it looks cool for about 5 minutes then you get a headache..

i'd suggest only using compression on either something with extreme dynamic range (a wobbly bass or inconsistent singer) or really sharp transient peaks (bass drum). of course, all of these things can be solved in other ways too..
I mostly dig organic, natural sounds, 60s rock/garage, old school country , blues, old r'n'b, soul, 70s punk...
right on. you're off to a good start.