Snare Drum Alert!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

Snare Drum Alert!

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:33 pm

Holy crap!

Bill Detamore just built 300 acrylic shelled snare drums for Guitar Center along the lines of the old Vistalites or Zickos drums. These things sound AMAZING and GC has them on sale for $199!!!!! They're (sonically) thick as daylights and loud. They sound sort of like a maple drum played in the shower. If work continues to be good to me this week, I'll be nabbing one soon. Bill is actually hand-cutting the bearing edges and signing and numbering these drums as well.

Oh yeah, for those of you who don't know, Bill is the mastermind behind Pork Pie. These are Pork Pie drums I'm talking about.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

The2and4
ass engineer

Re: Snare Drum Alert!

Post by The2and4 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:04 pm

Ouch.

Hand cut bearing edges? Pork Pie? $199?

Thanks for the heads up!

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:24 am

man i recorded a green Zickos once and it knocked me out. it was particularly funny cuz i rolled my eyes when i saw it...totally faced. i wish i could take advantage of the sale.

Mike

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:11 am

Ahh Guitar Center...what a strange place. I love taking full advantage of them to get what I want but why of why did you have to stop carrying my Oktava microphones YOU BASTARDS!

...sorry...

I'll have to check this sale out, thank you for the notice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:11 am

I ran into the rep about a month ago and he told me that these things were coming. I think Bill is actually getting the shells from the same people who originally supplied shells to Zickos, but I could have that wrong.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:16 am

Devlars wrote:Ahh Guitar Center...what a strange place. I love taking full advantage of them to get what I want but why of why did you have to stop carrying my Oktava microphones YOU BASTARDS!
There have been supply problems with Oktava themselves.

I know that they haven't been discontinued. The chain just got a small number of mics shipped to certain locations. Charlotte has 6 of the cardioid MC012s in stock. They're $99 and as of now, that's their minimum on them, so you won't be able to go in and haggle them down to 2 for $99. They're still worth much more than that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:21 am

Yes well here in the Detroit of Michigan, if you want Oktava mics you have to have a GC rep order them from an out of state location.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:58 am

That's what I'm telling you. Have someone from your local store do an in-store transfer. You'll probably have to pay for the mics up front or at least pay a deposit on them, but it will expedite things if you walk in knowing which store has them. If your local guy is a complete bonehead (and many of them are), call the Charlotte store and talk to Stephen or Michael about having them shipped to you. And I'd do it quick since they only have six of them in stock.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:03 am

Is this snare drum thing nation-wide? If there are only 300 of them...

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:11 am

Ooh good question. What's the answer I wonder.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:21 am

So, they're getting these drums just in time for the big labor day sale. I'm sure I'll get a pile of new stuff on Monday.... i always do.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Jaws of Hell
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jaws of Hell » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:58 am

Damn it GC, open a store in Iowa already!

jimmyjazz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimmyjazz » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:18 am

I have four of the GC Oktava mics I'll sell in pairs. They're new in the box. PM me if anyone's interested.

Thanks for the tip on the drum . . . I'll head over to the Austin store at lunch and see if they have any.

fuu drakka
alignin' 24-trk

Post by fuu drakka » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:03 pm

chris, thanks for the tip on the snare, It took a week for GC to order one for me from another one of their stores, It came in today, I brought it home, and wow it really sounds awesome. It sounds even better than my super awesome vintage maple 14x7 ludwig snare. I love this board.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:20 pm

Work's picked up for me in the last two weeks, so I called a buddy of mine at GC today and told him to hold onto one for me until tomorrow. Ironic that htis thread came back up. Fortunately, they had one left and it's the floor model--the very one I heard! How much luckier could I get? I'll be sure to report back when I've used it a bit. I've got a couple gigs this weekend on which I'm sure that drum will be completely inappropriate. I probably shouldn't even take it to the classical brass ensemble gig I've got Sunday night. That would be just too funny.

The only thing that's a drag is that damn strainer. I really don't like the ones that Bill ships on his drums. I had him put a custom strainer on the last drum I ordered from him.

Fruu, is yours a clear shell with black hardware?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC