Recommend some Jobim & Joao Gilberto albums?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Recommend some Jobim & Joao Gilberto albums?

Post by percussion boy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:22 am

Hey knob-twisting mammals: I've got a craving for real bossa, but am having trouble wading through the ocean of crap in the catalog of these two fine artists.

Can anyone recommend some in-print stuff, preferably just voice & guitar, with the vocal reasonably in-tune? I would prefer to duck the easy-listening orchestrated stuff on Verve, although if you're blown away by it I'll reconsider. Favorite bossa albums by other artists are welcome.

Please leave Bebel Gilberto out of this. I'm not kidding.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Recommend some Jobim & Joao Gilberto albums?

Post by sonariste » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:24 am

My Favs

Stan Getz with guest artist Laurindo Almeida

This is one of the best {samba / bossa} guitar records, not many vocals (if any )

Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine

in tune vocals? well not really but a great album.

The man from Ipanema box set is really good but about $50

With Antonio Carlos Jobim [IMPORT] another great record

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] I lve this record, being a frank fan and a ACJ fan
It sounds great too. In tune vocals for sure.

Composer of Desafinado Plays another ACJ winner.

There are so many great bossa records, None of them modern btw

Charley Bird had a few gems, Gilberto Gil too.
Theses are all curently available at amazon etc.

About in tune vocals on bossa records:

Astrud is never really ever in tune, but I love her anyway, The outa tune stuff is bad/worse when she sing in english to me. but in Portugese it's ok.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:32 am

I have "Wave" by Jobim and "Brazillian Byrd" and I think they're both pretty awesome.

ammatapas
audio school

Post by ammatapas » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:56 am

The album called "Elis and Tom" is amazing. it has jobim playing(nickname "Tom") and a great singer elis regina. It has great arrangements and some magical performances. more than just guitar and vocals, but, check it out. The link below will show it to you on amazon. good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8?v=glance

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:08 am

Some Joao Gilberto suggestions:

Elis & Tom - great album, absolutely recommended

The Legendary Joao Gilberto (w/ green cover) - this is a CD of his first couple of original albums on one CD. This is like the original "birth of bossa nova" type stuff and it's classic.

"Aguas De Marco" (white cover with a green rectangle picture in the middle) - this is a great album of just Joao and a percussionist. SUperbly recorded it's one of my all-time favorites. It's from maybe the early '70s and the recording is a little drier, very intimate and sparse, it's actually almost like a "Pink Moon" kind of vibe to it. Beautiful stuff.

(I will try and post pictures or links to these albums later if I get a chance)
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

chema
pluggin' in mics

Post by chema » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:23 am

all instrumental stuff:
baden powell - tristeza on guitar; an absolutely stellar but relatively unknown guitarist (this one might be out of print).
laurindo almeida + charlie bird - brazil and beyond and latin odyssey; you can get both albums on a reissued double cd set.
laurindo almeida + bud shank - brazilliance vol.1 & 2 (seperate cd's).
almost anything by laurindo almeida (from the fifties through the eighties)is interesting to listen to, even if not strictly bossa, it kind of highlights the fact that bossa is an amalgamation and that almeida may have been one of the best, most well rounded and influential guitarists of the last century.

p.s. saw bebel last night and had hella fun, cheesy or not - her band was amazing.
do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - ralph waldo emerson

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:09 pm

Pizarelli's "Bossa Nova"

John's one of the most talented guitarists in jazz right now, and he rips into some great solos on this record (not to mention his brother Martin on bass and Ray Kennedy on the piano). An added bonus is that Telarc Records releases the absolute best sounding jazz albums anywhere. All the records they release are analog/DSD before they hit CD. Great sounding stuff for the audiophile who has a hard time with the mid 80s "remastering" efforts of many jazz labels. Thank God for the Van Gelder reissues!!!

Later,
musik

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:25 pm

For instrumental-

Bossa Antigua - Paul Desmond (with Jim Hall). Really great record.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:39 pm

you've GOT to get some jorge ben.

i'd recommend "jorge ben" and "Samba Esquema Novo." seriously amazing, unrestrained, top-notch bossa nova. the pinnacle of mid to late 60s bossa nova.

also, "os afro sambos" by baden powell. very intense stuff. but very hard to find. there's a more recent live album with the same title that's way more common, but it's not the one i'm talking about.

also worth searching out, sergio mendes and brasil '65 record, and "equinox" by mendes and the brasil '66.

ellaguru
audio school graduate

Post by ellaguru » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:17 pm

Joao Gilberto just put out a live solo record in June, called "In Tokyo", on Verve. It's exceptionally beautiful. And I have to plug one of the giants of 20th/21st-century music: there are certainly some Caetano Veloso CDs which'll fill the bill. A cheapie ($11.98 list; pay no more!) compilation called "Personalidade" comes to mind. Veloso worships Tom Jobim; he has a lyric in one of his songs that says something like "Some may like a soft Brazilian singer, but I've given up all attempts at perfection." You should check out a few song snippets from Veloso's albums because he's likely to do anything imaginable on his records which is what makes him such a raving genius. That lyric comes from a song called "O Estrangiero" which is as far from Bossa Nova as you can get but is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:33 pm

if astrud is out of tune, then I must be a monkey's uncle. I mean, I have a pretty damn good ear and her vocals do not sound out of tune at all. I mean she slides up to the notes but that is what is cool about her. I am dumfounded by "dis out of tune comments"

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:09 pm

scarygroover wrote:if astrud is out of tune, then I must be a monkey's uncle. I mean, I have a pretty damn good ear and her vocals do not sound out of tune at all. I mean she slides up to the notes but that is what is cool about her. I am dumfounded by "dis out of tune comments"
She isn't dead on all the time but it still works, after all she is a house wife turned singer, but I still love her...

My faves:

Gets / Gilberto

Astrud Gilberto - The Shadow of Your Smile

Astrud Gilberto / Walter Wanderley Trio - A Certain Smile A certain Sadness

Telecastr
audio school graduate

Post by Telecastr » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:30 pm

Getz/Gilberto...amazing

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:51 am

Thanks everybody . . . as usual, the Tape Op board comes through big time. After doing a bunch of listening on Amazon, here's where I ended up:

Joao Gilberto - IN TOKYO: Yep, amazing. Just him & his GIT-tar. Interesting pickup/EQ thing going on where the low strings sound kind of bass-like; takes getting used to at first.

Joao Gilberto - JOAO GILBERTO: The Brazilian Verve import. This is actually AGUAS DE MARCO under another name. Straight-up solo (+ perc, as mentioned above) Gilberto -- which is a good thing.

(THE LEGENDARY JOAO GILBERTO seems to be very out of print right now. Too bad.)

Jobim - TOM CANTA VINICIUS: No one mentioned this, but it's got some nice small group arranging going on. For some reason Jobim's voice sounds less irritating here than it sometimes can be. Not a muzak Jobim.

Jorge Ben - SAMBA ESQUEMA NOVO: Still digesting it. The atmosphere is very '60s somehow, like early Beatles. Off topic, PATATO AND TOTICO was just re-released, which has an amazing rumba version of "Mas Que Nada."

Note to Bay Area people: The Virgin Megastore carries Brazilian imports that I don't see in Amoeba or Rasputin. I guess Virgin is good for something after all.

Thanks again. I can Bossa for days.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:31 pm

What ! no laurindo almeida ?

shame on you.

really, you made some great choices. Happy Bossa

Tape op board rocks!