Ampex Preamps

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Ampex Preamps

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 am

I have a friend that is going to let me borrow the preamp channels of an Ampex Reel to Reel matching this one:
How hard will it be to use these mic pres?
What will I need to do to use them with mics that already have power or dynamic mics? They have XLR in's and outs.
The onwer is going to help me bring it up to power really slowly and check all the tubes to make sure it works, then they are mine to borrow!
anyone using them?
they nice and mooshey?
CHeers,
Raymond

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: Ampex Preamps

Post by maz » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:07 am

Ahhh, those are Ampex 351's -

I have one as a standalone pre, and there is some good info on them on here.

The pre's are usually pretty amazing, very 3D, beautiful high end. Not transparent, but not overly colored, either. It's a very excellent sound and very detailed! Mine's modded (from a schematic I found here done by Greg at Electrical) to have an attenuator at the output so I can crank the input and get glorious crunch. It's pretty unreal.

A lot of them need some significant work to get them back to sounding great, hopefully your friend has already done that. I had about $600 worth of work done to mine, which was more than i wanted to spend, but it made is super quiet now and I love it so it was worth it. I think there's only 3 tubes that are actually in the preamp path. I had the heaters changed to DC and took the power switch out of the circuit, because it was bundled with audio wires and contributed noise to it. SO now I just have to plug it in and unplug it to turn on and off.

I have those schematics if you want them, and the guy who modded mine had Jensen write up specs for a step-down transformer to make it not so hot, it was going to cost about $100-150, and is a drop in replacement.

Regarding mic input, the inputs are pretty hot- I can barely turn it above 2-3 before it's in the red with a dynamic or condenser mic. I've seen some pads put in these, and I kinda wish I had one now.

PM me if you want more info- but a search here for Ampex 351 will get you a lot more too! Also, there's info here:
http://recordist.com/ampex/

You're gonna have fun!!!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:36 pm

and see the electrical audio board, tech section for a thred by greg on modding these things. i've got one, but it's still on the project list so i can't help you much.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:33 pm

These, along with Altec 1567a's, are my favorite pres for a riboon mic...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:58 pm

tonewoods wrote:These, along with Altec 1567a's, are my favorite pres for a riboon mic...
I have always thought that would be the case, but I don't own a ribbon mic! With the amount of gain these things have and the sound, I bet it would be great!

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:22 pm

Finally got to play around wioth these today.

MAN! We slowly powered the preamps up to keep from popping any dry caps and every single tube lit up after being out of comission for 20 some years!
I hooked up a dynamic mic to it and it was AMAZINGLY powerful. It only took about half the gain to make it really loud and clear.
I will post some results about how they sound on drums and guitars and vocals and such by next week.
They are so quiet! I really expected to have to do some work on them to get them up to muster but they sound fantastic right out of the gate.