presonus digi-max lt converters vs alesis hd24 converters

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
snatchman
george martin

presonus digi-max lt converters vs alesis hd24 converters

Post by snatchman » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:48 pm

:id hi all! this my first post and my question is; are the converters in the presonus dig-max lt" better" or "not", than the converters in the alesis hd24? i am thinking of getting the hd24. i have the presonus digi-max lt running to adats xt via lightpipe:i know the hd24 is 24 bit, but im wondering will i hear a drastic improvement, or should i just get better (high end) front end for the presonus(mics,pres,di etc.) and call it a day! thanks to all that respond.

heylow
george martin

Re: presonus digi-max lt converters vs alesis hd24 converter

Post by heylow » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:07 pm

snatchman wrote::id hi all! this my first post and my question is; are the converters in the presonus dig-max lt" better" or "not", than the converters in the alesis hd24? i am thinking of getting the hd24. i have the presonus digi-max lt running to adats xt via lightpipe:i know the hd24 is 24 bit, but im wondering will i hear a drastic improvement, or should i just get better (high end) front end for the presonus(mics,pres,di etc.) and call it a day! thanks to all that respond.

Let me get this straight. You want to know if going out of the Digimax Lt digitally sounds better or worse than the converters on the HD24?

If so.

The HD's converters are worlds better to my ears than those of the Digimax and certainly much better than any of the old ADAT machines. I often use a Digimax Lt for aux things like toms and hi hat and such but refuse to use the digital outputs. I find the Digimax pres to be fair sounding pres if you use the inserts as outputs into the HD24.

As far the HD24 is concerned, I say don't hesitate. I find it to be a great unit with great converters already built into it. If you can, I'd get the XR version. I have the original and have used the XR version. They are very close and both represent incredible price to performance, but I find the XR version to be just a bit smoother. I think I read somewhere that the filters are placed a little higher out of typical hearing range. Don't quote me on that last bit though. :wink:

Hope this helps. I'm still not absolutely sure I get the question.

heylow

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:08 pm

Thanks alot heylow! I guess I didnt make things clear for you, sorry about that.I have heard good things about the hd24 and the xr. Is there a big difference in sonics between the two, in/out analog?So you are saying the Presonus sounds better coming out of the inserts than coming out of the lightpipe?If so i will give it a try.Im planning on getting better front end gear anyway(pre-amp,mics,etc.),so i will get the hd24 and just go into the analog inputs.By the way i am using an analog console(Tascam 2600mkII) this should be okay?Thanks for your help! read at you soon.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:36 am

I upgraded the converters in my HD24 with the EC-2 unit. It makes a big difference even at 48kHz! I deal with Pro Audio gear, so if you need the grab the EC-2 upgrade, drop me a note. My prices are far cheaper than you will find out there for new. I have them on eBay right now. I have been noticing that a few places are not carrying the EC-2 upgrade anymore. I'm not sure why, but I suspect that they're fading them out as the HD-24XR saturates the market. That will leave all of the HD-24 users stuck with the lower quality converters.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:49 am

"EC-2 unit"

does this make the older alesis unit, the newer alesis XR unit?

Mike

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:02 am

bigtoe wrote:"EC-2 unit"

Mike
Yes. That's the only difference between the HD-24 and HD-24XR.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:22 am

Hi Parlormusic! thanks for the info. on the hd24 converters.Are you saying that the xr converters make a big difference at 48, analog or digital in/out?Read at you soon.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:54 am

snatchman wrote:Hi Parlormusic! thanks for the info. on the hd24 converters.Are you saying that the xr converters make a big difference at 48, analog or digital in/out?Read at you soon.
Before I upgraded with the EC-2, the optical converters in my Presonus Digimax sounded better than the HD-24 converters...analog or digital. The EC-2 analog converters sound the best to my ears, so I now use only the analog in/outs on the HD-24.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:57 am

parlormusic wrote:
bigtoe wrote:"EC-2 unit"

Mike
Yes. That's the only difference between the HD-24 and HD-24XR.
thanks, mang.

Mike

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 am

I here ya Parlormusic! I think i will get the hd24xr since i will be using analog board also.Thanks alot for your input and time.I will report back and let you know how things are progressing!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:01 am

parlormusic wrote:
snatchman wrote:Hi Parlormusic! thanks for the info. on the hd24 converters.Are you saying that the xr converters make a big difference at 48, analog or digital in/out?Read at you soon.
Before I upgraded with the EC-2, the optical converters in my Presonus Digimax sounded better than the HD-24 converters...analog or digital. The EC-2 analog converters sound the best to my ears, so I now use only the analog in/outs on the HD-24.
Well....then you have a much nicer Digimax than I do, man. That's about all I can say. :roll:

While I agree that the EC2 converters are nicer than the original HD24 converters, it is only by so much and the converters in the Digimax don't come close to either in my opinion.

heylow

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:17 am

heylow wrote:
parlormusic wrote:
Well....then you have a much nicer Digimax than I do, man. That's about all I can say. :roll:

While I agree that the EC2 converters are nicer than the original HD24 converters, it is only by so much and the converters in the Digimax don't come close to either in my opinion.

heylow
Maybe there was something else affecting the outcome. I use nothing but Mogami quad cables and good lightpipe cable. I did a comparison between the two and the DigiMax 96 was cleaner sounding. The HD-24 sounded a little dull. But not with the EC-2!

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:26 pm

parlormusic wrote:
heylow wrote:
parlormusic wrote:

heylow
Maybe there was something else affecting the outcome. I use nothing but Mogami quad cables and good lightpipe cable. I did a comparison between the two and the DigiMax 96 was cleaner sounding. The HD-24 sounded a little dull. But not with the EC-2!
Well, to be fair...I have NOT done 96k. I do everything 48 and my judgements are based on 44.1 and 48k. So fair enough as far as that goes. :wink:

heylow