The new SMiLE available online (legitimately!)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jdsowa
pushin' record

Re: The new SMiLE available online (legitimately!)

Post by jdsowa » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:24 pm

Yes, these re-recorded tracks sound very close to the originals. Arrangements & instrumentation are almost 100% faithful. These lo-fi versions avail on the website probably also sound closer to the originals because the bootlegs were also pretty lo-fi. I thought the idea of redoing all of it was gonna be a disaster but I'm surprised at how well it turned out. Would've been cool if he had actually done a 10 minute version of 'heroes & villians' just to play along with all the rumors/conspiracy theories.

glimmertwins
audio school graduate

Post by glimmertwins » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:59 pm

I agree with the previous posts.... I have been listening to the bootleg of this pretty frequently for a few years now and I can not believe how close the arrangements are to the originals - I was really scared Brian was going to do something foolish like re-record the whole thing with a Triton or something...

I miss his old vocal timbre - that will be tough to adjust to...Listening to it online now I can really see the whole Van Dyke Parks influence now. I don't know why but I seemed to have missed that whole influence in the music when I was listening to the boots - even though I knew they collaborated...

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:49 pm

logancircle wrote:
Sweet. Anyone know what plugins they used to make their voices sound like that?
I heard Brian was heavy into Waves' "Ultra-Depressor"
Yeah, I think he used the Smile-curve setting...

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:44 pm

After hearing the Smiley Smile version of "Heroes and Villains" and the "In the cantina..." version, I was hoping that the new version would mix the best elements of both. Then I downloaded the new one, and it was exactly that! It was perfect.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:12 am

The main beef I've been hearing about the record over on that "Smile Shop" website is that some of the original instruments (tack piano, harpsichord) from the original Smile are now are now synth renderings of those instruments.

I'm not sure if those guys are right, cause some of the MP3s I've been hearing are seriously low resolution. I hope they're wrong. It'd be disappointing, but I guess it's a bit much to expect Brian to be a purist about these things, especially since I've seen him singing the praises of autotuners in interviews.

All that said, what I've heard sounds great, just the experience of hearing it on record all assembled will be something. Hearing it live was amazing.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

Kevin H
audio school graduate

Post by Kevin H » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:31 am

It is finally out. I just got it and am listening to it now. It is pretty amazing. I was really afraid that they'd ruin it by redoing the whole thing, but it sounds great. There are places where Brian sounds very different, but it is really excellent nonetheless.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:53 am

logancircle wrote:
Sweet. Anyone know what plugins they used to make their voices sound like that?
I heard Brian was heavy into Waves' "Ultra-Depressor"
Case... That's funny as shite!!

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:20 am

Jut bought the CD (came out today) and listened to half so far. Really the best solo album of Brian's career. Worth buying.

KOKI
studio intern

Post by KOKI » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:21 am

hi all im a newbie here. I was listening to a lot of smile boots on the past months and i have to say that i was really afraid that the "new" version will be soo stereo soo hifi soo adult contemporary stuff. But i have to say that i was soooo wrong, the record is just amazing not only because old details that i like on the boots are there is the hole record that is really touchy and overwhelming. Wonderfull is a great song and the voices are just, i dont know how to explain, in one moment of the song you feel that you cant handle the song it overflows you (Sorry im from southamerica so maybe i cant express myself in an adecuate way). Its a great record. Im recording and playing my bands new record and brian wilson musical knowledge is such an inspiration so much to thanks for.

nice to meet you all hope we can share a lot of experience, well i dont have a lot but anyways.

hello tapeops!
wilson / young / spector / boetcher

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:51 am

jdsowa wrote:Would've been cool if he had actually done a 10 minute version of 'heroes & villians' just to play along with all the rumors/conspiracy theories.
What rumors and conspiracies are those? I'm unawares...

KOKI
studio intern

Post by KOKI » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:13 am

wedge wrote:
jdsowa wrote:Would've been cool if he had actually done a 10 minute version of 'heroes & villians' just to play along with all the rumors/conspiracy theories.
What rumors and conspiracies are those? I'm unawares...
At one point brian thought that phil spector was trying to kill him.
wilson / young / spector / boetcher

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:49 pm

Was that before or after Phil Spector actually DID kill somebody?
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:00 pm

Can you blame him? Spector was a gun-toting lunatic, apparently... He even brandished one at John Lennon during a heated discussion, apparently...

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:45 pm

after hearing and being impressed with the mp3s i heard, i went and picked it up today on my lunch break. overall, it's impressive and pretty darn faithful to the originals. and yeah, brian's singing takes some getting used to. you can tell he's trying hard not to slur. i'm really digging it though, overall. it's awesome to finally hear it all come together.

only thing that really disappointed me were the marimbas on windchimes. i swear, they're not quite as wooden, or resonant. kind of dinky sounding, in comparison. could be midi, but why? it's a freaking marimba! it's not like they're hard to find or it's impossible to find someone to play 'em. so, i want to refuse to believe it's a synth, and that they just used more top-end-y mics on 'em. thoughts?