GREENBACKS VS BULLDOGS FOR VOX AC-30 amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

GREENBACKS VS BULLDOGS FOR VOX AC-30 amp

Post by elloweez » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:58 pm

I have an old Vox ac-30 that I am speaker shopping for. I am looking for speakers that break up at a low volume. I have just heard the greenbacks and am impressed, but I am curious as to how they compare to the blue bulldogs. I know the bulldogs are more expensive but I am not sure why. Anyone out there heard both? If so whats the difference in sound? If anyone has a good alternative to these two speakers I'm all ears. Just give me an idea of how they sound.
Thanks, elloweez.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: GREENBACKS VS BULLDOGS FOR VOX AC-30 amp

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:45 pm

Great question.
I'm not exactly sure, but I think the fact that the bulldogs are alnico is the reason for the extra expense. I can't say that I've done a side-by-side with the Greenbacks, but the bulldogs break up pretty early and stay pretty chimey even when the amp is decked.

If I were you, I would go over to the Weber website (http://www.webervst.com/), and maybe email Ted Weber and ask him. He sells great speakers for Voxes. I have an AC30RI with bulldogs and a replica 2X12" cab with Weber Bluedogs, but ceramic, not alnico versions. The two cabs sound similar, but the celestion bulldogs are a little chimier.

Roger

daveaux
pluggin' in mics

Post by daveaux » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:07 am

I believe (this was hearsay from an amp guru friend a coupla years back) that the voice coils on the Bulldogs are rated for a higher-wattage speaker, i.e., a 50-watt voice coil in a 30-watt-rated speaker, since they plan on you pegging out your amp anyway. In other words, they overbuilt 'em, knowing how most Voxes are used.

Of course that could all be bullsh*t, but it sounded convincing at the time...
Daveaux
N.O.LA

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:36 am

BULLDOGS!! There is NO comparison! Except for the fact that they are ridiculously overpriced. BUT they sound amazing!

retrograde
studio intern

Post by retrograde » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:00 am

The Alnicos blues are rated at only 15w, the greenbacks at 20 or 25w. The blues have a shimmer and added depth of sound. The greenbacks are ballsier sounding. I like both. I have used one of each in an AC30 for a blended sound. Get your blues fast; the price just went way up on the the "Made in England" speakers. I have heard that production is to be shifted to China.

elloweez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by elloweez » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:42 am

Hey thanks for all the info. Rodgre thanks for the Weber address...looks interesting. It sounds like I definitly need to hear the bulldogs now.
Elloweez.