Hill Mixers

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wedge
tinnitus

Hill Mixers

Post by wedge » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:55 pm

Anyone know where I can get info re: Hill mixers? Specifically the Multimix 16/4/2? I've been googling to little effect. Also, any opinions to share in regards to said mixer?

vernier
pushin' record

Re: Hill Mixers

Post by vernier » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:09 pm

I had one ..Hill Multimix was sonically mediocre ..they were a big deal decades ago cuz of their compactness. If I had one today though, I'd probably use it instead of a Mackie or Allen/Heath. As for info, I've seen none.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:15 pm

Do they still make them? I'm wondering if they have a website... There's a Multimix 16/4/2 on ebay at $200 with a buyitnow price of $400. It's a rackmount, as well, and I'm wondering if they came tabletop form... Was yours a rackmount, then?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:29 pm

They are not sonically mediocre..maybe compared to neve or api they are ..they are solid state of the 5532 variety..unbalanced i/o..16 direct outs..they do have a really nice tone..i can say because i use one all the time..people seem to love the sytek preamps and the hills are quite similar..almost exactly the same sound..but you get 16 for the price of one and a half-2 syteks..the eq is usable and can be enhanced with a different opamp..bbopa2604..they are just as good if not better than any soundcraft or any board that is not discreet..for the prices they go for its a no brainer for the tapeop types of recordists..and also Wharton Tiers of Sonic Youth fame uses a Hill in his own studio..if its good enough for Sonic Youth..Dino Jr..Unrest..etcetc..ist good enough for me..I have to admit at first I was sceptical about the board but after using it i really like it a whole lot and dont think i will ever get rid of it..even when i upgrade to bigger and better things..

I got lots of info if your interested just pm me..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:32 pm

i got mine for 100$ but $400 is ok.. i usually see them go for $350..

they dont make them anymore the company is long gone..because soundcraft and another company came along and made cheaper units with cheaper parts i think..the company was founded by ex trident people..the multimix is only rackmount im pretty sure..

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:53 pm

Right ..I should have (at least) said "decent board" ..and they're probably better than any compact board around these days. I dug the long faders.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:06 pm

totally agree though that its not the very best thing ever..but for the price they go for they are much more than worth it IMHO..there was an old tapeop that had an article with a studio that praised the Hill Audio mixers..but i dont know what issue that was..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:08 pm

this place seems to have one listed and is taking offers..you should offer like 100$ for it and see if that works..

http://www.balloonheadsproaudio.com/mixers.htm

DrDream9
audio school

Post by DrDream9 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:35 pm

The Hill Multimix was not listed on Sonic State music site...so I recently added it...Any owners should add a review....

I've owned a Hill Multimix since 1988....bought it new... $1575.00...
It's mostly been rack mounted it's whole life, along with it's 1 space rack power supply..... With multiple signals from drum-machines, several synthesizers, synth modules, processers ect.... It was the answer to my prayers at the time...
I've used it as a recording mixer for demos and as a stage mixer.....
I have only good things to say about it....Solid...Quiet...Versatile...Dependable.
Never needed service.... It only has 2 Aux sends per channel....But with all the built in effects and such in the new synthesizers, feeding stand-alone effect processors is called on less... The first 4 channels can handle 2 turntable signals.... Very nice for recording to digital.... It is possible to rewire the internal channels so both Aux are post Aux...after fader and EQ... Does anyone know where the exact points needing rewiring are...? I have it's manual but it's a bit vague... It's not real apparent to my eyes...
If I was looking for an inexpensive, quality rack/desk mixer and a MultiMix in nice shape...all functioning...not abused.....made itself avaiable...for $500.00 I'd consider it....for $200.00 I'd jump all over it....
Push a button...!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:00 am

I have schematcis and a parts list just pm me..i can email them to you..

joeb28
audio school graduate

Post by joeb28 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:06 pm

i was just given a hill b3. it 24x4, it looks like a hiss machine, but i have no power supply. Anyone have an idea were i might look. The board is from 1984...if that helps.
alot of people hate this hat...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:09 am

you will probably have to have one built..they arent' common..i dont really know that specific console..i have a multimix as i have said above..one thing its not is a hiss machine..does have the typical scratchy pot and fader for its age..the electronics are quiet..

how about you just sell it to me?

DrDream9
audio school

Post by DrDream9 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:20 am

As of Feb. 9th...05...there is a Hill MultiMix on e-bay...
Looks ...decent shape....missing one slider knob...
Power supply provided....
It's described as working.....
Make sure it's packed well......!

Hmmmm....do I realy need another MultiMix...?

MG
Push a button...!