Mic Signal Path Upgrade for Home Studio

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Theo Aronson
audio school

Mic Signal Path Upgrade for Home Studio

Post by Theo Aronson » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:00 pm

I have a small home studio mostly used for recording my own rock stuff and sometimes collaborating on hip-hop tracks with friends. I sold my Presonus BlueTube recently planning to upgrade my pres and am now torn with what to get. Usually I am only using one mic at a time unless tracking drums of course, which I unfortunately have to run through my yamaha MD8, used as a mixer to give me more inputs and I just take the stereo outs into PTs. I want to get a stereo mic pre. The Drawmer 1960 catches my attention, although I have read and heard mixed feelings on the unit. I noticed Joel Hamilton posted something talking about putting Telefunken tubes in it and that it really pleased him after that upgrade, but that can be another $400 on top of about $1100 (used) for the 1960. And I wouldn't be able to do that for a while so if it will suck until I upgrade to 'funken tubes that will be rough. I'm trying to stay in the $1200 range for my pres and plan on getting a sytek in the future so something with character would be cool. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me RE: the 1960 being great or sucking and any other mic pres I should look into if you have been in a similar situation. I have been doing so much research I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed, I know about the Vintechs, BAE stuff, but would really like a two channel box that can do it all (maybe with some EQ on it and compression) since I don't plan on having a variety of pres. The Langevin DVC looks really interesting also but is pricey unless I can find it used. Thanks in advance for your help! I'm only looking at used gear in hopes of getting something better for less ca$h.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Mic Signal Path Upgrade for Home Studio

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:53 am

The 1960 is a great box, even without swapping the tubes out. It is simply better for the way I record things with tubes that make the transition from clean to gnarly in a smooth way. The stock tubes dont do that very well at all. Like totally clean, and then "spat!click!gag!" The stock tubes make hairball noises when they are hit hard I guess.

Enjoy. I like that box.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:44 am

why dont you get the syteks first..so you have the channalage to do a bunch of stuff in the meantime..then add the nice colour pre ? thats what i did but im dealing with a lot of channels in a rock situation..so may not be the best for you..

for 1200$
you could possibly get :

a pair telefunken v676 or v672 racked

one great river pre

vintech 1272 2 ch

1 ch Audix 35102 racked (pre + eq) nearly identical to neve 31114

just some ideas..

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:17 am

The pre's you're talking about are really sweet but here's an alternative you may not have looked at, check the spec's. The ART DMPA has excellent spec's and a long list of features that lend flexibility (one of your needs). They're too long to list so I'm posting a URL for you.

I have friends that rave about this unit and I've heard a fair share of the tracks they've used it for. It seems to accel at tracking just about everything, including acoustic guitars and vocals. It may not be vintage but from what I've heard with my own ears, it sounds great. $599

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=r ... id/180629/