cheap electret condenser mod idea

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theinfamousfish
studio intern

cheap electret condenser mod idea

Post by theinfamousfish » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:43 pm

Hello all. I have a cheap Realistic (Tandy/Radio Shack) electret condensor mic. I use it to mic my acoustic, and it actually doesn't sound half bad. However, I was thinking that it should theoretically be possible to modify my mic using a different (better) capsule, thus improving it's sound. I should not think the soldering should be too difficult a job. My main problem is figuring out how to get the capsule out of the head of the mic without damaging the head. Also I need suggestions on a capsule. The mic has a 600 ohm imp and is a "33-1060" mic, if anyone happens to know realistic mics for some reason. Any ideas?

fish
"If you're a rose, then I'm the thorn in your side."
-Switchfoot

"I get your point. You're so sharp."
-Television

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: cheap electret condenser mod idea

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:11 pm

You might do better to leave the capsule alone and mod the power supply. Most electrets sound better when they're run from higher voltage power supplies. Signal to noise ratios and SPL handling improve at higher voltage. You may be able to use the power supply from the tape-op DIY omnis or the power supply mod for the Rat Shack PZM (do a google search).
Of course I should say that I don't know the mic you're talking about so I might just be talking out my ass here.

theinfamousfish
studio intern

Post by theinfamousfish » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:08 pm

Yeah. Thanks for the info. I don't know as far as voltage mods. The recommended mod for the pzm seems to rely on the fact that the 6V batteries fit in the battery compartment. My mic uses a AAA, not a AA, so I don't know if it would fit. I guess I could buy one and see. Another suggested mod for the pzm is replacing the connector w/ a XLR to make it balanced. this is interesting, but I wonder if it would work for my mic? Mine also has a smaller phono plug (1/16"?) other than the main plug (which is 1/8", not 1/4") labeled "remote". I have no idea what this would do. I am kinda annoyed how the mic is layed out. I can't open it up and look at it at all. It is all moulded plastic, etc. Total crap mic. Exactly what you'd expect from the Shack. *sighs* oh well.

fish
-Switchfoot

-Television

theinfamousfish
studio intern

Post by theinfamousfish » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:18 pm

bumpage
-Switchfoot

-Television

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:59 pm

Go look in the "best of" sticky for DIY mic stuff. There's a huge thread on building mics using Panasonic capsules.

theinfamousfish
studio intern

Post by theinfamousfish » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:03 pm

ok. thanks.
-Switchfoot

-Television

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:53 pm

i have one of these.

it's an "omni" right?

i like it just the way it is. really useful for band practice. acoustic guitars...

it looks like it would be really difficult to take apart without breaking the case... maybe you could mount the guts in something else? like a pvc tube? that would be bizzarre. at 30 bucks a pop maybe you could afford to break it? post some results if you do...

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:57 pm

oh man does this look like the bob barker mic? we've had one of those for so many years...ours is stereo 1/8 in outputs...one is red the other is gray. you could try doing a little wierd duct tape/lead thing and connecting the leads to the batteries and duct taping the battery to the outside being careful not to short it out (i know it sounds like the laziest approach ever but hey)...though i hear you can blow up some electrets by overpowering thing...they do have a hotter output when they're getting more voltage...better yet you could try a couple of 9 volts in series...sam

firgela
pushin' record

Post by firgela » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:10 pm

I have a pair of cardioid Realistics that I bought off eBay a couple of years ago and enjoy. Looking at the capsules turns out they were made by Shure....you might have a Shure in a cheap suit. Just a thought.
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris