MATCHBOX TWENTY

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pantone247
takin' a dinner break

MATCHBOX TWENTY

Post by pantone247 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:16 am

MATCHBOX TWENTY FINALLY FINISHES WATERING DOWN LONG AWAITED NEW ALBUM

LOS ANGELES?Executives at Atlantic Records announced Monday that multi-platinum recording artist Matchbox Twenty, which set sales records in 2000 for its mega-hit release Mad Season, has finally finished watering down tracks on its long-awaited new album Beige.

"Everyone here at Atlantic is thrilled about what's sure to be the biggest-selling, least-rocking record of the year," Atlantic public-relations spokeswoman Janet Cosgrove said. "It's been a long wait, but the incredibly boring results speak for themselves. Beige is bigger and blander than anything Matchbox Twenty has ever done."

"Grab a chair, America!" she added. "The most uninteresting band in formulaic, corporate radio is back!"

The release has been eagerly awaited by Matchbox Twenty's enormous fan base, composed of American record buyers who have a limited interest in music but enjoy the act of shopping. In order to satisfy the undemanding non-tastes of this lucrative market, Matchbox Twenty has made every effort to create what record-industry insiders say is the band's least distinctive album yet.

"Some were disappointed with the relatively limited reception to Matchbox Twenty's 2002 release More Than You Think You Are," Rolling Stone contributing editor Nathan Brackett said. "That album proved what record executives have known for years: It's actually very difficult to record a rock record that has no rock in it at all. But with this new release, Matchbox Twenty has really delivered on its signature non-sound."

According to band members, hundreds of hours were spent in the studio trying to render the sound adequately benign.

"No matter how many times we recorded the new single 'Sitting Down (Hands At My Side),' there was still a certain 'oomph' coming through in the drums, a loud-ish, slightly gripping sound that we couldn't remove," drummer Paul Doucette said. "Finally, after running them through about two dozen filters, we managed to get that 'plastic spork hitting mashed potatoes' sound we were after."

There was a similar problem, band members said, with the guitar solos, some of which contained trace elements of what musicians call "passion." In addition, the interplay among bass, drums, and guitars occasionally produced uncomfortable polyrhythmic effects that provoked unintentional toe-tapping or head-bobbing in listeners. The problems were fixed through extensive re-recording.

"I'm satisfied that all the watering-down we put into this album was worth it," Thomas said. "My lyrics are super-bland, the bass might as well have been recorded on a keyboard, and just wait until you hear how dull we managed to make the guitars sound. It's amazing."
INDIE TILL I DIE

saasquatch
pluggin' in mics

Re: MATCHBOX TWENTY

Post by saasquatch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:34 am

Genius
When you pirate mp3s, your downloading Communism!

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:15 am

saasquatch wrote:Genius
X2

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:10 am

:D

Judging from the American consumer culture, there might be a point in time
when a band can set up a single microphone in the studio, walk around for 80 minutes, slap that on a CD and sell it.

As long as you compress the shit out of it.

Put a techno or hip-hop beat behind it and call it "Extreme Urban Minimalism"

:shock:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:25 pm

they should get a better pr person that write up makes them sound boring and stupid..

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:11 pm

MB20 plays the kind of music that I avoid like the plague. They're almost as bad as Nicklesuck and Creed.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:45 pm

pantone247 wrote:More Than You Think You Are
You Paid For More Than You Thought You Were Getting...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:23 pm

Beige!! ;)

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:27 pm

i thought that smacked of the onion's genius. props.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:12 pm

classic. the ultimate crux of comedy lies within this statement (which goes beyond M20 of course):
"The release has been eagerly awaited by Matchbox Twenty's enormous fan base, composed of American record buyers who have a limited interest in music but enjoy the act of shopping."

pugwawa
pluggin' in mics

Post by pugwawa » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:27 pm

why not throw in Green Day's new album while we're at it....that a big piece of moderate rock crap too...no difference to me between that and MB 20.
"MTV is to music as KFC is to chickens"
www.chiwawaworld.com

bassface
takin' a dinner break

Post by bassface » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:42 pm

I hate to be the square guy, but didn't matchbox20 have a cool tune like 5 or 6 years ago?

I like Cake a lot, and I thought they had a song that had a fresh flavor like that.

No?
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

--Major Frank Burns

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:09 pm

pugwawa wrote:why not throw in Green Day's new album while we're at it....that a big piece of moderate rock crap too...no difference to me between that and MB 20.
include chevelle's new one while we're at it...hell, even their cover art is white/beige! that more than qualifies...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:28 am

bassface wrote:I hate to be the square guy, but didn't matchbox20 have a cool tune like 5 or 6 years ago?
NO!
I like Cake a lot, and I thought they had a song that had a fresh flavor like that.

No?
Cake=Good
Matchbox20=BAD