reverse reverb anyone?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bedbug
buyin' a studio

reverse reverb anyone?

Post by bedbug » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:54 am

I've been fooling around a lot lately with the "reverse" setting on my Alesis Microverb (I was partially inspired by the many conversations on this board about My Bloody Valentine). Anyone else down with reverse reverb? I busted it out at band practice last night. Bass player was very intrigued, and a little worried that my hands weren't matching what was coming out of the amp.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Re: reverse reverb anyone?

Post by takeout » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:23 am

I'm into it, but not from a Microverb. I'll flip the damn reel.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:26 am

The only way to get proper reverse reverb is by turning your tape and recording your reverb,i dont know if you use analogue tape,but try this,and then listen to what your reverb unit is trying to simulate.

Same goes for reverse functions on samplers,it isn't true reverse.

If you do it the proper way, you wont look back!...although i know this may only be of use to you in a recording situation..but??

Al

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:38 am

I've done a little backwards recording. I use both in different situations. The microverb is a little more subtle. And it's good for playing a chord progression cuz you don't have to learn how to play it backwards. Not saying it's an exact replica of a flipped tape. Just something fun to bust out when I'm getting burned out on whatever I'm working on.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:06 am

While the "reverse" patch on a reverb unit was created to simulate flipping the tape, it has never sounded anything like it.

But I look at it the same way a Univibe sounds nothing like a Leslie, and they're both cool.

I've used the reverse patch on some cheaper reverb units for washy MBV-ish guitar sounds and it's been very cool. Washy attack, and a short decay. It's kind of cool.

Roger

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:38 am

preset #49 on a Midiverb 2 and you're in business.

roger's avatar frightens me :)

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:05 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
roger's avatar frightens me :)
It's my favorite one on the whole board. :)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:06 am

thanks. I am as god made me.

Roger

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:11 am

Like reverse reverb?!? I'm named after it!

John (Inverse Room)

wowandflutter
takin' a dinner break

Post by wowandflutter » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:36 am

The only way to get proper reverse reverb is by turning your tape and recording your reverb
ive never done this. are you taking about recording something on a reel to reel flipping the tape around then recording something along with that . otherwise how would you sinc up the reverb with the dry origional track?
using two different recorders or what?

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:44 am

back before the computer was invented, you would take a track that you wanted to put reverse reverb (or preverb) on, say a vocal on track 10 of a 24 track.

Say you have track 24 open to record onto, you would flip the tape backward and then send track 14 (which would be track 10 going forward) to a reverb unit. Record the reverb (all wet) to track 1 (which will end up being track 24 when you flip over)

When all is said and done, you will hear the reverb swell up before the vocal starts. You can do this with delay too. Check out "I'm Cold" by the Cure to hear what that sounds like.

Roger

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:22 pm

That was an old trick they used to use in the good old day's.I remember Bowie doing it on a track off Ziggy.It sounds ace.His vocals are correct but underneath is this swirling reverse reverb.Can anyone run down the procedure of how to achieve it?

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:06 pm

just a quick pointer for those of us who can't Flip The proverbial Reel...

on a DAW:
1.Record your track.
2.Reverse it.
3.Print reverb.
4.Reverse the reverb.
5.Un-do step #2 above.
6.Line up transients.

good to go. i just figured it out last week, so i'm all excited about it. i'll bet it sounds a hell of a lot better than a real-time processor.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:02 pm

"i'll bet it sounds a hell of a lot better than a real-time processor."

of course it does. in order for a reverb unit to work in real time and do the *exact* sound as literally reversing the audio signal and adding reverb - it would have to warp reality and pull sound from notes you havent even played yet!

personally, i love that effect - but it has to be used sparingly. theres this song by Coal Chamber where the singer uses the effect in the breakdown right before the chorus breaks in again.
"i'll try like to hell to make light from the dark for you..."
it sounds so creepy. at the time i first heard the song, i had no idea how the hell they did that and kept trying to figure it out for so long until i heard this Orgy song where the RR is used on every snare hit.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:04 pm

A little digression. You know what I really like? Danelectro's "backtalk" pedal. Like all Danelectro's products it's a piece of crap, but what a glorious, glorious piece of crap. Great for bargain basement knob twiddlers. It's too expensive new, but if you find one on the sidewalk or something, go for it. With a nice, cheesy string patch and a cheap Wah you can get the most ridiculous keyboard washes ever. Via guitar you can get some nice lo-fi faux-horn sounds, too. Viva crap fx.