shins - Is this Print-through?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theposterkid
gettin' sounds

shins - Is this Print-through?

Post by theposterkid » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:12 am

On my Shins "Oh, Inverted World" vinyl, I hear, very distantly, the start of "Girl Inform Me" and "Know Your Onion" moments before the real song starts.

edit: I can hear it at the start of Girl on the Wing too...

And I know James recorded it in Cool edit and such, but I'm curious as to whether or not the mixes were dumped to tape eventually. Because I think that would explain it. I'm not talking about like an old click track in the background, but the whole mix of the song is heard for a moment before the song actually kicks in.

dirty
steve albini likes it

Re: shins - Is this Print-through?

Post by dirty » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:59 am

This happens to me when I'm drunk. Might not be the same phenomenon, though.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:41 am

I vaguely remember having some old stuff on cassette that would do that. It would have to be where two layers of tape on the reel were touching and some magnetic transfer occurred. You could try taking a stab at the math involved - guess the tape speed, measuer the amount of delay, figure out the reel diameter and see if it makes sense.

French Movie Theme
ass engineer

Post by French Movie Theme » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:12 am

print through... you can hear this on Guided By Voices' Universal Truths and Cycles. Kinda funny.

ThorAndersen
pluggin' in mics

Post by ThorAndersen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:59 pm

Every time I hear it at the end of Girl Inform Me I always just assumed it was for effect because it's just his voice and it clearly has different inflections.

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:35 am

ThorAndersen wrote:Every time I hear it at the end of Girl Inform Me I always just assumed it was for effect because it's just his voice and it clearly has different inflections.
You are talking about something different. It wouldn't happen at the end of a song in the way you are talking about. Plus, those are loud vocals, that is part of the mix. The sound I am talking about is MUCH quieter, I never noticed it until I listened on headphones.

NaturalAsDessert
audio school graduate

Post by NaturalAsDessert » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37 pm

I actually plan on placing some artificial "print-throughs" on our next album. I have heard this on tapes and other recordings here and there and was never sure whether it was intentional or not. In space between songs, and even within songs, I have come to like a small amount of almost-subliminal noise. I may even do a print through of one song right before a different song on another part of the album. It just kinda f*cks with your listeners' heads a little bit!
you are i am they are live

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:49 pm

Your Shins question came to mind when I was burning a disc of the Walkmen "Bows & Arrows" LP for a friend. When I was slicing up the burned copy, I noticed the Farfisa that opens "Hang On, Siobhan" comes in faintly about 2 sec's before the cranked real tone.

Anyone got the CD? Can you hear the same thing? Anyone know what they tracked on? Wing? I know you had been talking with these guys a bunch.

Just curious.