Cheap Gear

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Cheap Gear

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:27 am

When I started buying gear, I wasn't sure how committed I'd be to recording, so I made a few chincy investments. Also, I was eager to have a bunch of stuff quickly, and wasn't too keen on saving up and having to, *gasp* wait to buy something. So I bought cheap pres that I've since outgrown, cheap mics that I'll use 'cause it's all I've got, but I know I couldn't have bought a nice Blue baby bottle for what I paid for the handfull of crappy mics, shite cabling that I'm slowly replacing, etc.

I guess it's like everything else: older, wiser people warn you, but you've just got to learn the hard way. Kind of like with having sex with sheep.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: Cheap Gear

Post by eeldip » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:30 am

no no no. you got the wrong attitude. cheap gear is great. its what you used before you got nice gear. nice gear is obviously BETTER, but cheap gear is CHEAPER. so cheap that you were actually able to record, as opposed to sitting there and watching your saving account accumulate.

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:20 am

Yeah, and sometimes cheap gear works just fine. Like an SM57. Its not "cheap" as in cheap parts, its "inexpensive" as in its not going to break the bank.

Also, you never know, you might happen to like the sound of something thats cheap and it would work the opposite as well, expensive (i.e. overpriced) gear might sound like crap with your system, or if you don't tweak it properly.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:28 am

Think of cheap gear as a "student guitar"... it's affordable, you can get a basic system together, all without spending money on pro gear. What if you discovered you didn't like recording after spending a bunch of $$$?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:30 am

agree..the experience of actually recording is worth the price of the cheap gear if not worth more..if there is one thing ive learned having sex with sheep..its wool can get real sweaty durring a hard hump session..better gear makes the job easier and enabels you to work faster..but you can still do great recordings on cheap ass gear..

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am

i'm with bees -- not to mention having knowledge of cheaper gear will make you all the wiser in the long run. you've heard stories about people using cheap radio shack PZMs et al and having them be the perfect mic for the situation. cheap stuff can occasionally get you the sound you're looking for, so keep it (your chin) up.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:31 pm

I agree with everyone else here, except the "sex with sheep" part. Whatever happened to "sex with cows"? They don't complain as much.

Inexpensive gear gets ya going and up and running. Now you know exactly what kind of gear you're looking for to take that next "upgrade" step. Plus you've gained a lot of knowledge from tracking with the primitive stuff.

And don't stop buying inexpensive gear either. In my opinion there are some great deals on killer gear that's not only useful in the home studio but accepted and widely used by the Big Boyz.

Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ben Logan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:43 pm

My wife's Dad saves up until he can buy "the best," within reason - when it comes to electronics, appliances, etc.

Its worked out for him. Case in point: we now own his Sony TV from the early 80's - it's got a great picture.

I agree with the original post: its best to save up for a "keeper." E.G. I finally got my RNP after months of saving. I could have settled on a Studio Projects VTB-1, but I waited. It was hard for me! I'm so happy with that RNP.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:09 pm

Some people would consider your RNP a cheap piece of gear.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:40 pm

I can agree on both fronts. After comparing my old 3630 compressor to my new Urei LA-4 you can hear the difference of cheap vs. pro. I'm a fan of what "sounds good" not a fan of cheap or pro. I would be willing to spend a couple grand on a pair of Neves (if I had a couple grand) just as much as I would buy a couple sm-57s for around $160.

Right now, I'm leaning towards buying more "pro" equipment to gain clientele. I know it sounds cheapo or sell-outish. But people who see a guy using a Neumann to record main vocal tracks over a sm-57 are willing to go the extra mile. It's not a question of what is better, its what is right for the job.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:32 pm

Yeah, I guess there is something to be said for starting on the cheap. Now I'm saving up $$ to build a few seventh circle pres. On the cheap front, I still love the EV mics I got for practically nothing (RE11, 635a) and the Oktava's aren't that bad.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:14 am

I got expensive gear (now obsolete) from a store owner and he floated my credit for a long time. To pay him back, after I beefed up my resume with experience, I told him I would work for him for 1 year and said I would increase his lines of products. I did that. His book keeper was ripping off the store so much that he went out of business two years later after being in business "since 62", the bitch. His best line was, "hey, it ain't cheap. it's surprisingly affordable". I loved that guy.
At any rate, there is no correct moral position to take on buying cheap gear. If a manufacturer ao shop is bitching that "you didn't buy American, or, you didn't buy the good stuff" arguing how you'll put folks out of business, they are probly already on the way out whether they know it or not.
Don't feel bad.
Harumph!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 am

If 'cheap gear' gets you up-and-running, actively recording and learning, then you're 100% better off than all the time saving up to get 'expensive gear' and not recording. Or, having some 'expensive gear' but not really enough to record properly, even though what you've got is 'good' stuff.
I value the experience that one will get by actualy recording on whatever they have. Besides, if you learn to make great records on 'cheap gear' you'll only be that more skilled on the 'expensive gear'.

Heck, my whole studio is really not more than a lot of 'cheap gear' and I (confidently, not egotistcally) make great records.

If a piece of gear is affordable to you, and you can try it, and it seems to do what you need it to, get it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it. Yes, you may lose some money, but you'll gain experience.

Once you have a critical mass so you can be actively recording, then you're in a super position to start upgrading as you see fit - saving up for those choice units.

I dunno. Just a thought.

edit: speling mistakes make me nust
Last edited by Mark Alan Miller on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:44 pm

Like one great teacher said to me..
"A great engineer will take the tools given him and consistantly turn out great audio"

Its how you use it man.
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:30 pm

djdrake13 wrote:Like one great teacher said to me..
"A great engineer will take the tools given him and consistantly turn out great audio"

Its how you use it man.
good point.

Stick a fork in this thread.