Lap Steel Choices

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Lap Steel Choices

Post by inverseroom » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:55 am

Awesome, guys. I'm bidding on a National Dynamic, and am watching a Rick and a Supro. All in my price range, so far...

brianb
gettin' sounds

Post by brianb » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:31 pm

maz wrote: this one looks pretty great- the pickup has been rewound by Jason Lollar (lollarguitars.com) and he makes incredible pickups.
I've got a '47 lapsteel and sent the pickup to be rewound by Jason and he does amazing work. The thing is louder than god and has fantastic tone and sustain. If you get something that needs work done on the pickup or needs a replacement you can't go wrong with him. He goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy.

Brian

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:23 pm

brianb wrote:
maz wrote: this one looks pretty great- the pickup has been rewound by Jason Lollar (lollarguitars.com) and he makes incredible pickups.
I've got a '47 lapsteel and sent the pickup to be rewound by Jason and he does amazing work. The thing is louder than god and has fantastic tone and sustain. If you get something that needs work done on the pickup or needs a replacement you can't go wrong with him. He goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy.

Brian
yeah, after seeing that one on eBay I'm thinking I'm going to send him my pickup for rewinding. he makes some great tele pickups too.

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:32 pm

There's a real nice National Deco on eBay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 18738&rd=1

It's not mine (LOL) so I'm not spamming.
Nationals have a real good tone.
Bill~~~

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:46 pm

I have no idea how they sound, but they look cool as hell:

http://www.harmosmusic.com/

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:09 pm

Wild Bill wrote:There's a real nice National Deco on eBay right now:

Didya happen to notice who the high bidder is, and has been all day?

DON'T TOUCH IT, MUHFUHS!!!!

brianb
gettin' sounds

Post by brianb » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:48 pm

maz wrote:
brianb wrote:

Brian
yeah, after seeing that one on eBay I'm thinking I'm going to send him my pickup for rewinding. he makes some great tele pickups too.
Mine's a Fender-one of the first instrument ole Leo ever made-and he really did a greatjob. Only cost me about $90 and the guy speant hours getting the electronics on the thing fixed up in addition to the rewind.

Brian

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:37 pm

too bad you missed that national. I have a similar one by supro that's pretty cool.
You can't go wrong with supro unless you get a student model,,not so good

you can always pm me for advice on lap steels..been playing slide for 10 years...

Had a killer supro that got stolen.that was the best I've ever heard

harley
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:28 pm

supafuzz wrote:too bad you missed that national. I have a similar one by supro that's pretty cool.

you can always pm me for advice on lap steels..been playing slide for 10 years...
Got a bid on another one though... if it falls through, gimme a few more recommendations! Which Supros are the student ones and which are the ones I should be looking for?

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:29 pm

inverseroom wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:There's a real nice National Deco on eBay right now:

Didya happen to notice who the high bidder is, and has been all day?

DON'T TOUCH IT, MUHFUHS!!!!
I've got mine already!!!
Now it's time for you to enjoy.
Bill~~~

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:38 pm

inverseroom wrote:
supafuzz wrote:too bad you missed that national. I have a similar one by supro that's pretty cool.

Got a bid on another one though... if it falls through, gimme a few more recommendations! Which Supros are the student ones and which are the ones I should be looking for?
I've got a beautiful 6 string Supro from the 60's. It's black and white with a cover over the pickup. I can't remember what kind of pickup it has, but it's the kind that David Lindley uses. I paid $400 for it, used.

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:03 am

In my opinion, the Ricks's are great. I have a Fender Champ too but it just doesn't have the tone of the Rick I had (with the big horseshoe pickup, metal body stuffed with old newspaper!). I have an old no logo Supro I love and I love the tone of the one's (any make) with the weird Teisco type pickups which can sometimes be had for cheap.
Also, consider your amp set-up...there was an article in Vintage Guitar a couple of years ago you might find on the web on the subject. The amp can make all the difference...if you can find that article...goes into preferred amps/cabs (15"s are great).
Good luck!
Drew

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:51 am

drew w wrote:In my opinion, the Ricks's are great. I have a Fender Champ too but it just doesn't have the tone of the Rick I had (with the big horseshoe pickup, metal body stuffed with old newspaper!). Drew
Yeah the champ is more like a "Rolling Stones" type of sound, whereas my Ricky is glassy smooth and as sweet as an angel's voice. I had a Model 59 Ricky (metal body stuffed with newspapers) but really prefer the tone of a "B" model. Mine isn't sting though like some, those have the most sustain. The 1/2 " horshoe (pre-war) is a tad better sounding than the newer, thinner ones.
Bill~~~

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:12 am

so, inverse room... are you the same j. robert lennon i heard on NPR this weekend?

a short story about a marriage gone sour involving a philosophy book??

.......and back on topic... don't know if it's going to be worth a shit, but i just scored an ancient perloid wrapped big funky pickup filled lap steel for $50 on the ebay....
and there's another national 8 string on ebay right now that's dead mint and absolutely beautiful. but i've got the feeling it's going to fetch a deserving price.

good luck on picking one up. and with the book stuff...

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:14 am

Here's a good combo....
3-10" Bandmaster, DX77, and a Ricky with a horseshoe.....
The Bandmaster breaks up perfectly for the Ricky...

"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler