Recommended outboard reverb

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
0xeneye
pushin' record

Recommended outboard reverb

Post by 0xeneye » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:21 pm

I record on a 16 track digital DAW system and I am looking around for reverbs that sound decent. The six or seven that I have tried, all digitally encoded free-ware VSTs or cheap rack units sound horrible to my ears and I cannot afford the more expensive analog ones.

I am one of those people who turn reverb way up, find the desired effect, then turn it back to where I can barely hear it, then mix it at half that level. So I am not drenching reverb and don't produce ghoulie music - just pop-rock stuff.

Can anyone suggest where I can look for a decent sounding one under $200? I have run out of suggestions...
0x

jc
takin' a dinner break

Re: Recommended outboard reverb

Post by jc » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:30 pm

furman rv-1. cheap spring. dont leave home without it! goodluck
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:07 pm

The Lexicon MPX-550 is excellent, but is gonna run you around $350 used.

You might find an MPX-500 for around $200
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:32 pm

uh as far as plugins, you should really try the SIRII by christian knufinke, it's really awesome. kinda like waves IR-2, but free

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:05 pm

I found a T.C. M-2000 for $300 and a Lexicon PCM-70 for around $400. They both sound better than the plugin verbs to me (although Alti-verb is really nice). Shop around, you'll find something.

Spring reverbs are cool too. I don't use them on everything but they work great for guitars.

shawn

hiwatt33
gettin' sounds

Post by hiwatt33 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:27 pm

Oxeneye wrote:I record on a 16 track digital DAW system and I am looking around for reverbs that sound decent. The six or seven that I have tried, all digitally encoded free-ware VSTs or cheap rack units sound horrible to my ears and I cannot afford the more expensive analog ones.

I am one of those people who turn reverb way up, find the desired effect, then turn it back to where I can barely hear it, then mix it at half that level. So I am not drenching reverb and don't produce ghoulie music - just pop-rock stuff.

Can anyone suggest where I can look for a decent sounding one under $200? I have run out of suggestions...
TC M-300. For two bills it's good.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:34 pm

The Alesis MidiVerb 4 is a lot of fun with a powerful engine that does some very cool trix for $199. Personally I like it.

I sometimes use my Behringer Virtualizer Pro 2024P for Reverb and you can snag one of those for $179. I find it useful.

You could also consider the Mackie DFX6 Mixer. For $189 you get a quiet mixer with some very userful effects including a lush Reverb. Mackie actually has nice effects on their boards.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:29 pm

I've been happy with my Roland SRV-3030d. Digital I/O, which is nice with the DAW, and some good sounds.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:26 am

Lexicon LXP-1 or, if you're lucky, a good deal on a Sony DPS R7.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 am

an alesis wedge, if you can find one. i have no idea what they're going for, but i'm guessing not much, and they sound pretty decent. my old guitar teacher used one in his studio and i remember hearing it and being pretty impressed. hope that helps a bit.

-travis

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Post by theposterkid » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:40 am

I have had good luck with the Yamaha REV500

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:07 am

i have a roland dep-5 i got for $40. it's pretty 80's sounding but in the right situation it sounded really great.

i was really bummed when it broke (it permanently scrolls thru presets now)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:15 am

I use a TC electronics M2000 as my primary verb. I like that box a lot. I have used all kinds of verbs, and I actually like that one. I still use SPX90's as well.

Finding the right "fit" for the song is more important than the verb unit itself in my opinion. Stack a couple of cheap verbs, and eq the returns, and you have a more expensive, unique, "custom-for-the-song" verb on tap on an aux. That always makes me happy.

The plates, and short ambient presets in the '2000 work well for me.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:20 am

Do any of you guys use real plate verbs? I think thats what I'm hearing on most 60's-70's stuff.. good example would be Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang".. as heard on the kill bill vol 1. sound track.

The vocal is still so upfront and warm, but also has this great, smooth, wash behind it. I don't use a lot of reverb either, but that's mainly because I find most digital (plugin) verbs so grainy.

Do the outboard high-end digital verbs (lexicon,tc) really do justice to the original plate?

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:29 am

I have worked in many rooms with a really nice plate and a lexicon 480 sitting there, and I have used both, or one or the other, depending on the song and the style and the singer and the way it was tracked and a zillion other variables, just like what mic to use or whatever.

We dont use the 47 for snare, ya know what im sayin?

Sure, it is a great mic, but everything has its place. I still feel that I would rather have 10 cheaper verb units than ONE plate in my studio.

I would rather have a spring, and 8 other mutant digital verbs to choose from, just like I would rather have 100 different weird cheaper microphones, than one '47.

I would rather have an entire set of wrenches to fit every situation than one really expensive 15mm wrench.