Presonus Bluetube pre

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Presonus Bluetube pre

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:54 pm

Has anyone ever figured out a way to make this pre useable? It is incredibly noisy and I haven't figured a way to fix it. As it is, it's unusable. The tone seems okay, but the noise is just ridiculous.

Any mods?

Roger

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Presonus Bluetube pre

Post by brakeshop » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:33 pm

if it's like any of the other tube preamps in that price range, you should be able to switch out the chips to something quieter. You might try switching out the tube if its something generic. At least that would be the quickest easiest way to do it. (hopefully the chips are in sockets and not soldered in)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:21 pm

Yeah, I've swapped out the tubes already, but I haven't tried swapping out the op-amps. It's ridiculous though. It's one thing to be a little noisy. Hell, any preamp is a little noisy when you crank the gain. This thing is just beyond noisy with the gain just slightly up. Even with nothing plugged into it. How could they let this thing out of the factory? I've read similar complaints online as well.

I would love to hear from someone who has modded it for something quieter (burr brown?) to know what they did and whether it was worth it.

Roger

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:49 am

Do you have the drive all the way down? How old is this unit? Apparantly they were very noisy early on and the Presonus fixed the noise issue. Mine's not too noisy with the drive down and gain up. The Toft ATC-2 that I just got blows it away though.

Maybe contact Presonus and see what they have to say for themselves.

Good luck.

K.S.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:20 pm

Yeah, thing about these cheapie "tube" pres is that they are NOT true tube pres. Basically you've got a SS pre with a built-in "tube driver" to add grit where you want it. If the "drive" control is all the way down, the tube isn't even seeing signal.
I bought the newer Presonus single channel "tube pre" for my little home demo setup, but I don't think it would be a good choice for anything even remotely critical.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:52 pm

Where are you getting Toft from? Just curious.

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:04 pm

I got the Toft at SoundPure in N.C. Very helpful, I called to order a Vintech pre but they were so impressed with this Toft that they suggeted it to me.
Check out www.toftaudiodesigns.com for more info.

Todd at SoundPure can answer any questions you may have. This was my first dealing with them and they were very helpful. You'll be seeing alot more about this box I think.

Good luck.

K.S.

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:17 pm

Thanks K. S.
I know PMI distributes them, and have been there to give the stuff an up close look. It just didn't say who, if anyone, was vending it yet.

Pat

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:13 pm

That toft stuff looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up. No suprise that it kills the presonus though.. I mean, it costs about 4 times as much.

All fet though right? It sorta reminds of an avalon 737sp in look and function... but 2 channels and inexpensive. Cool!

mike

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:52 pm

I just got one and I have to say its a big hunk of shit. I put a new tube in it and now its ready for wiping my butt.

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:37 pm

I had a hard time finding info on the Toft after I had ordered it so I e-mailed them with a couple of questions. I got a call back from Alan (the owner of PMI) to answer any questions I had. He was very interested in getting feedback on the unit from users as it's such a new item. How often does the owner call you directly?

Anyway, I'm growing to like this thing more and more by the day. The pre's are very clean and uncolored. I was leaning towards a Vintech pre but that would have left me with only my DAW's compression and e.q. so I was steered this way by SoundPure. The pre's are based on Trident 80 series boards. The compressor is FET and it's very smooth. I had cheap compressors in the past so I never really realized what a nice smooth compressor could do. Very clean and smooth. The VU meter is very nice to have as opposed to l.e.d.'s.
The e.q. is pretty great too. Smooth and clean. Todd at SoundPure claims the price is worth it just for the e.q.
It is alot more expensive than the BlueTube but I've just discovered what all the talk about pre's is. I'm re-doing all the vocals on a friends record because the difference is so great. It's so much cleaner and well balanced than the ART or BlueTube.

I should mention also that the Vintech I was looking at was 250- more so I really got the feeling that SoundPure wanted the best thing for me.

That being said you can get decent results from the BlueTube by keeping the drive all the way down and I really had to e.q. (subtractive) the low end as it was pretty muddy sounding. Of course this is mic and mic placement dependent.

I think you're bound to see alot about the Toft in the future.

3 year warranty on parts and labor sure is nice too.

Good luck to all.

K.S.