Studio Upgrade

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
XXF
audio school graduate

Studio Upgrade

Post by XXF » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:50 pm

My initial topic about Apogee AD converters was the beginning of what my topic should have been. I've been working on a G4 450 for about 4 years and this has got to stop! I use it for TV/film/advertising, etc. music. I am comfortable with DP and MOTU so I'd like to stick with that. The best gear I have is a UA 2-610 preamp, MOTU 2408, MIDI timepice, 414s, 421, D112, Km184s and everything else can be replaced.

I have $8,000 to spend on an upgrade. I was thinking of going with G5, DP4, Mach 5. and a MOTU audio interface. It would be great to hear what recommendations or additions people may have. Any thoughts? Thanks.

GLEA
pushin' record

Re: Studio Upgrade

Post by GLEA » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:57 pm

I'm just settling in with my new G4 running DP4 through a 2408 and 24i/o. I was sort of pushed into the digital age. My old 8100 just wasn't making me happy. I found DP to be pretty easy to use. Admittedly I've only scratched the surface. My first project done before I'd gotten all the bugs out of the new board/patchbay. The results were stunning. Good band made it easy, but the gear and software all worked and sounded great.

I probably spent the $8K you have, and couldn't be happier.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:06 pm

XXF wrote:My initial topic about Apogee AD converters was the beginning of what my topic should have been. I've been working on a G4 450 for about 4 years and this has got to stop! I use it for TV/film/advertising, etc. music. I am comfortable with DP and MOTU so I'd like to stick with that. The best gear I have is a UA 2-610 preamp, MOTU 2408, MIDI timepice, 414s, 421, D112, Km184s and everything else can be replaced.

I have $8,000 to spend on an upgrade. I was thinking of going with G5, DP4, Mach 5. and a MOTU audio interface. It would be great to hear what recommendations or additions people may have. Any thoughts? Thanks.
You'll need to be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish from your upgrade.

XXF
audio school graduate

Post by XXF » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:48 pm

Okay, to be more specific regarding my upgrade. Basically, I have outgrown my G4 450, 2408, OS9, slow-ass set up. I have been unable to use Reason, OS 10, Mach 5, other soft synths, etc. to their fullest capacity. I can't really mix the way I need to with this set up, let alone take advantage of all the cool new stuff out there.

I would like to purchase hardware and software that will help improve the quality of my recordings. For example, when I buy a G5 I will need to buy an audio interface with PCI-X cards. So, would it make sense to buy an 828 a 2408 mk3, or Apogee stuff, etc. Perhaps I will buy better converters? I have the mics, mixer, monitors, room, etc. I just haven't made any major improvements to my original computer set up in years and want to take advantage of the money I have to purchase better equipment.

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:15 pm

the motu hd192s look pretty sweet. i have the 1296 right now which is the predecessor to this box and it's quite awesome sounding...and they've got 12 i/os as opposed to the standard 8

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:16 pm

I second the HD192's. These are some pretty sweet interfaces and they use the same A/D chip as the ProTools HD hardware does.

You shouldn't have any problems running soft synths or samplers on a G5. A friend of mine has Mach 5 and says it's bad ass by the way.

One of these days I'm going to have to break away from the stranglehold that PT has on me so I can take advantage of all this great gear.

XXF
audio school graduate

Post by XXF » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:46 am

Nice. Thanks for the input. I've been very happy with MOTU stuff although it's what I started on so...Regarding the Mach 5, I have seen it in action and it seems great but I have read mixed reviews.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:22 pm

As for the G4 450 mhz...I was using that same machine for 3 or 4 years and got my moneys worth from it...Last year I upgraded to the G4 Dual 1.25 GHZ and it's a freaking monster...I have just the right amount of processing power for full mixes (32 tracks, say 10 Aux Tracks, while running reason and plenty of processing plugins...ie. reverbs etc...)

Check out the older G4 dual processors...They've dropped in price obviously because of the G5's....Anyhow...Have fun

XXF
audio school graduate

Post by XXF » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:16 pm

I thought about the dual 1 gig but with the G5s and a little cash to spend, it would seem like a step back to get a G4.