shrink tubing for grounds/drains

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Preslav
gettin' sounds

shrink tubing for grounds/drains

Post by Preslav » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:12 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for which tubing to use for ground wires on ADC punchback bays? Would the 3/64 '' stuff that Redco has work???

Thanks.

preslav

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: shrink tubing for grounds/drains

Post by jerrymac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:33 am

rather than use shrink tubing, there's this stuff out there that's made out of teflon that I use. You buy the proper gauge you need, and just slip it over the bare wire. Thing is, though, you have to trim it back properly so there is bare wire going into that ADC punchblock hole. The teflon stuff doesn't get pierced enough like regular wire insulation.

Some of the stuff is here.

jerry

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Re: shrink tubing for grounds/drains

Post by Ian » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:50 am

jerrymac wrote:rather than use shrink tubing, there's this stuff out there that's made out of teflon that I use. You buy the proper gauge you need, and just slip it over the bare wire. Thing is, though, you have to trim it back properly so there is bare wire going into that ADC punchblock hole. The teflon stuff doesn't get pierced enough like regular wire insulation.

Some of the stuff is here.

jerry
I recently did an ADC patchbay and I didn't trim back the teflon...........and sure enough on some patches I'm getting some hum. I bet that is what is happening. I am not looking forward to re-doing the whole thing over, but at least I'll know where to start looking for the problem!