New U2 song - Vertigo

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

New U2 song - Vertigo

Post by Rodgre » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:11 pm

I just heard it.

Ilike U2, but never was a total disciple.

I heard this just now and I'm blown away. it's a screamer of a rock song. There is one, count 'em, one blazing guitar track in the left speaker and that's it. One solo, I think, but the rhythm is one guitar in the left. It RIPS! They're out-doing all the current crop of britpop revisitors like Franz Ferdinand and the Hives and all that. It's a great rock tune. I can't wait to hear it for real

Roger

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: New U2 song - Vertigo

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:23 pm

I heard this too and I wasn't impressed. The song is really boring and to be honest, that's the worst guitar playing I've ever heard the Edge do. The bassline is cool, but those lyrics are terrible. "Ola"? Come on, that's crap. I feel that U2 has been on a steady decline since POP. And their last record??? (All that you can't...) That just plain sucked. I know that I am in the minority but U2 just doesn't do it for me anymore. It sounds like they've been watching too much MTV and paying too much attention to the 60's revivalist stuff that's currently popular.

Flame on.

shawn

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:26 pm

No need to flame.

I actually haven't liked much since Unforgettable Fire, until someone turned me on to Achtung Baby. Nothing else has impressed me, but I just heard this track twenty minutes ago and though I didn't really check out the lyrics, I thought it was a great departure from the tricked out production (which I love as well) of the last record.

Roger

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:28 pm

Yeah, I heard it on the radio here this weekend. I thought it was a decent song as well. I'm probably right there with you on being a fan of the band. I was into the first 2-3 records, but didn't pay much attention to them after they got full of themselves.
There was something I read years ago about Bono and U2, but for the life of me, I can't remember who said it. It went something like this.....
"there was a time when U2 thought they could change the world....trouble is, they think they did".
It was pretty funny, but I can never use it b/c I can't remember who said it. My memory ain't what it was in my 20s......

later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:31 pm

I'm a pretty hardcore U2 fan, though I'm not sure of whether or not I like the new one (I've only heard it once). When I first heard POP and ATYCLB I didn't care too much for them (other than a few songs), but now that a few years have passed, I'm digging both of those albums.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:53 pm

The best albums that have the most staying power have always been slow burners in my book. U2 being one of them...hated them but now I think they're great. Haven't heard the new song but I don't listen to the radio (it's crap round here except for the college stations) so that'd be why.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:14 pm

where'd y'all hear it?

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:50 pm

Have at it kids:

http://freeweb.siol.net/blazomar/vertigo.mp3

Check out the sucking!!

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:12 pm

Pretty gutsy mix. Gotta at least give them that. Don't you?

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:59 pm

I only heard the song in the background (at work/noisy room) so I can't comment on it yet.

I think U2 is a rare band that have grown and changed over the years with consistantly excellent results. Some CDs have done more for me, some less, but I can't think of a single U2 CD that "sucked". We would all be so lucky to have such commercially and artisticly successfull careers.

And live they rock. I've seen them a couple times (most recently from inside the heart on the last tour - Providence RI) and they put on a great show.

Can't wait to hear the new track.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:04 pm

that's U2?

fuck, i guess bono needed a "modern rock" record under his belt. i'm curious what the whole album is like. not sure i could wrap my head around an albums worth of this type of material from U2...

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 pm

dwelle wrote:that's U2?

fuck, i guess bono needed a "modern rock" record under his belt. i'm curious what the whole album is like. not sure i could wrap my head around an albums worth of this type of material from U2...
That's exactly what I said when I first heard "the fly".

I don't care how uncool it makes me look, I like u2. I listen to mostly '60s stuff, and some indie rock stuff, and I wasn't around when u2 was still underground or whatever... so no one I know likes it. But fuck! "Boy"!??!?? That album is f-ing amazing... yeah "Pop" and "Rattle and Hum" suck. "Zooropa" is not great. But pretty much everything else is good, and some of it is amazing.

I always like to play people u2 b-sides. They may be the best b-side band ever, but they always put their weirdest stuff there. "Boomerang" is like a great lost Eno song, and "Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk" is just strange.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:03 pm

I'm with you trashy. Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a U2 fan. Always have been, ever since I saw the Joshua Tree tour (where they opened for themselves as The Dalton Brothers).

I don't think any one record has sucked either. I have my favorite records and favorite tracks, but I haven't really hated anything.

I think the new song is cool. Like Roger, I was most taken by that one rhythm guitar. I'm sorry, that's a freakin great tone. And it's played really well- great pocket to my ears.

It reminds me of some of the stuff on War- Like a Song, Two Hearts, etc.

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:04 pm

I really like U2- they always deliver something risky when you consider the length of their career and how easy it would be to phone it in...

All That You Can't Leave Behind had Beautiful Day, and I felt the same way about that track with ALL the tricked out bells and whistles and multitap crazy delays on it.

The Fly sounded like INXS when it debuted. I don't think that now. That song is flat out good.

Discoteque was a stretch in the other direction-- but it expanded their sound in an unexpected way (if trendy at the time) and Pop got a bum rap but is a good listen (and I have the vinyl which is a totally different beast than the CD!).

I think Vertigo is really cool and, for them, very raw. I love Eno and Eno/Lanois in combination with U2, but to just have them deliver something with maybe 12-16 tracks with almost nothing on them, well, that takes guts when you could be a pap factory like Sting for example.

The other point of comparison is "Irish Blood, English Heart" from the new Morrissey disk. TOTALLY CONTEMPORARY but has all the polish and experience to back up the in-your-face modern production.

It's nice to see that those guys are willing to risk something when they clearly do not have to.

-TimT

rimbaud234
gettin' sounds

Post by rimbaud234 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:35 pm

Cool track, a real rocker. I dig it.
I think the really loud, only in the left speaker guitar mix is brave.
It definitely sounds "wrong" on first listen.
This song will really rock live.