amp modeler as effects unit

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
electrofloss
gettin' sounds

amp modeler as effects unit

Post by electrofloss » Sat May 10, 2003 8:47 am

my sansamp is now sans life. i've been using it as an aux send to get warped kind eq effects on vocals and such. i truly loved it.

but life must go on. i was thinking of getting a pod, maybe the rack unit, but that's kinda pricey. so now i'm thinking plug-in. does anyone have any recommendations? since i live in a tiny apartment, it might actually get used it as an actual amp modeler now and again, but that isn't nearly as important as getting fun sounds on things it's not supposed to be used with.

oxfist
gettin' sounds

Re: amp modeler as effects unit

Post by oxfist » Sat May 10, 2003 9:23 am

a few of my friends have used those zoom boxes in the wrong place at the wrong time, and have gotten some very interesting stuff out of it. seeing what they could do with an old zoom box, i was tempted into buying the v-amp2. same kind of effects, but lots more amp modeling.

[disclaimer:] since i have never played through half the amps they simulate, i couldn't tell you how well they stand up to the originals but, if you're a broke apartment dweller (like me!) just looking for something with a lot of knobs and wierd sounds.... check it out. its much cheaper than a POD and its got a lot of the same features.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat May 10, 2003 10:16 am

I mix with sansamps all the time, just like you describe. They are made well for what they are and they *sound good*.

I tried doing this with a pod, several pods actually, and those things just blow a cow. They are cool for what they are cool for, no doubt, but I wouldnt put mixing on the list of their relative usefulness. No matter what I did with them, they always maintained this murky cheap sound and it was always a battle to get pod tracks to sit in a mix.

Ive tried a lot of stuff to approximate the sans amp thing, and so far its leading the pack without a doubt. why not get another one?

dave

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Sat May 10, 2003 11:39 am

sans amp is cool, yeah. a plugin ive been using is amplitube. sorta pod-ish in a bad way. BUT it does have a couple of cool things going on in there. i just ignore the bad stuff it does.

i also re-amp a lot thru real amps too. and vocals fed thru my mini marshall, distance miked in my bathroom is a very serious sound. not terribly loud acoustically either (sounds loud tho).

have fun,

evan