steve reich, gyorgy ligetti, john cage

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: steve reich, gyorgy ligetti, john cage

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:10 pm

rieich's phase stuff is so great..i love it so..

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:24 pm

where are the milton babbit lovers?

anyway, i went thru this stage where i would buy every single nonesuch record i saw FROM THE NONESUCH HEYDAY. you know. with that funny N on the record. and the picture of art on the cover and like days of liner notes all over the record.

they had all the good shit.

anyway, one aspect of this music that is so cool is that it is often really funny. although rarely when it is intended to be funny. and when it tries to be funny it never really is (ligetti can be intentionally fun, but rarely funny). milton babbit is the funniest. especially that vocal stuff. its great CLEAR OUT THE PARTY music.

also its cool that this music often tries to be so minimal and accesible. but its so esoteric and theory based that it totally violates its purpose.

cool stuff.
Last edited by eeldip on Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:38 pm

eeldip wrote:i went thru this stage where i would buy every single nonesuch record i saw FROM THE DAY. you know. with that funny N on the record. and the picture of art on the cover and like days of liner notes all over the record.
Shit, man--I knew you were cool, but I didn't know you were THAT cool. It must have been a drag back then, turning to the girl in the cubicle next to you and opening your mouth in order to explain JUST HOW FUCKING AWESOME this one Elliot Carter string quartet was, and then snapping your mouth shut and having to repress the whole thing. Or being in line at Kinko's and seeing some dude getting his swimming pool ID laminated and thinking, "Should I mention Morton Subotnik's Lamination?" A hard row you hoed, my friend, a hard row.

Just now I am very into Terry Riley's "Shri Camel" album--four long pieces all played on a Yamaha YC-45D combo organ tweaked to accomodate even-tempered tuning. It is really great. And only eeldip understands!!!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:22 pm

yea, i had this hand signal too, to make that N sign.

i had this tattoo, and it was really hard to remove

on my back i had the liner notes.

yr right. those were tough times. but you know, i got together with my gang and we shit kicked all the neighborhood boys who thought that rites of spring was JUST TOO MUCH. those were the good old days.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 pm

Devlars wrote:FOLKS! WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE! That's awesome....I love Steve Reichs stuff. You should listen to Philip Glass Circles. It's a bunch of Glass music done by Arturo Stalteri...brilliant. I would imagine that it would take more than two people in order to pull off clapping music. Your hands would never forgive you after doing that all night.
Interesting. Reichs stuff I like. Cage's stuff I like.

Philip Glass's stuff reminds me of music I wrote back in high school, when I got my first computer sequencer, if I'd had an orchestra hanging around to play it for me. I can't stand him - to my ears, he's trite, repetitous and boring.

A frequent college party trick involved playing philip glass's movies, with the sound turned down, and someone else's ambient/trance music playing instead.

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:52 pm

awolski wrote:La Legend D'Eer is another favorite of mine, if you wanna get into electroacoustics. Who doesn't like listening to it? That's crazy talk. But "Orient/Occident" is probably my favorite electroacoustic piece ever.

The concept of LaMonte Young is great, but does anyone have any idea how to find any of his recordings? The only thing I have is that Dream Syndicate "Day of Niagra" CD on Table of the Elements which is very nice, by the way. But the only "official" recordings I've heard of are the ones available from his foundation, where it's like $350 for a box set or something crazy like that.
unfortunately i believe la monte young's stuff is so expensive cause he's really keeping it real. at some point i'd like to shell out the 350 for a box set until then i'll just have to believe that he did good stuff which is a shame really....any young devotees on soulseek???

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:59 pm

hearing music for 18 musicians for the first time was a real revelation. only a handful of cds have informed me as much about the possibilities of performance/composition. many props to the master...

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:51 pm

ligeti is definitely one of my favourite modern day composers (i.e. still alive etc). i was turned onto his work via the use of his music in stanley kubrick films. i especially like his really abstract stuff (i.e. le grand macabre) that uses bizarre vocal-sourced sounds that are like weird conversations. btw if you're interested in learning a lot about him, check out this book:

Gyorgy Ligeti: Music Of The Imagination (By Richard Steinitz):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 80-1252153

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:24 pm

eeldip wrote:...anyway, i went thru this stage where i would buy every single nonesuch record i saw FROM THE DAY. you know. with that funny N on the record. and the picture of art on the cover and like days of liner notes all over the record...
nonesuch is a great label. I still buy up all the ethnic stuff I can find.. lyrichord, too.
beware bee wear

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:37 pm

Here's a joke for y'all:

Philip Glass walks into a bar

Philip Glass walks into a bar...

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:59 pm

I picked up a copy of Reichs' Music For 18 Musicians just 2 weeks ago when I was doing my Goodwill Hunting...

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:56 am

Someone asked where the Babbitt fans were...

RIGHT HERE.

Other 20th Century heroes of mine:

Scelsi
Elliott Carter
Roger Sessions
Conlon Nancarrow
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

Jan Folkson
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jan Folkson » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:58 am

I've gotten the chance to work with Steve on 2 recent projects..a real treat. To top it off he's a great guy to work with.

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:44 am

Jan Folkson wrote:I've gotten the chance to work with Steve on 2 recent projects..a real treat. To top it off he's a great guy to work with.
that's awesome. i've gathered that he's one of the nicest people ever by reading interviews with him and about him. maybe i'll get to work with a hero of mine eventually.
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:54 am

Another Nancarrow fan!

I really dig some of Branca's stuff, though the drums tend to ruin it for me. In particular, #3 and #6 - in the midst of TOTAL SONIC CARNAGE, suddenly a wimpy little backbeat?

For me, however, Krzystof Penderecki is THE MAN.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron