Guitar Speakers

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Guitar Speakers

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Well, we got back from a show at about 6 am this morning, and when we dragged ourslves out of bed to practice at 10 am I noticed our polytone minibrute II sounded funny, so I pulled the grille off only to see a 3 and a half inch long rip in the speaker cone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for replacement speakers? I really don't know what different speakers are "supposed" to sound like. I understand that it's all going to come down to preferance, but I don't have the money (or time) to buy a bunch of different speakers and try them out.

On a side note I was wondering if (A) anyone knows how to contact Polytone (I can't find any info on the web) or if (B) anyone knows a good place in the Philadelphia/New York area to get speakers reconed, if this is a viable option.

Thanks so much

slowcolors
ass engineer

Re: Guitar Speakers

Post by slowcolors » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:00 pm

eminence makes a bunch of cheap and good guitar speakers. just check the wattage of your amp and the impedance of the speaker and get a match. generally using a speaker rated closer to the wattage of your amp achieves a more classic tone that takes into account speaker breakup...if you want maximum loudness choose a speaker that is rated a couple of times the wattage of your amp. classic speakers are also made my celestion...these are bit more pricey. www.zzounds.com has some great deals on stuff like this.

sam

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Re: Guitar Speakers

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:21 pm

A big part of a Polytone's "signature" sound is the speaker - If you want to keep that sound, replace it with a similar speaker.

That being said, I'm not sure what PT uses, so I'd suggest either contacting the manufacturer or removing the existing speaker to see if it's labeled something other than "Polytone" before doing anything.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering