why is it that studio websites.....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Re: why is it that studio websites.....

Post by pantone247 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:25 am

cowtrax wrote: So, I'm not trying to pick on you directly, gradwellhouse, but you raised so great thoughts! And those are some of my, well, thoughts, too...
off topic... but what is going on here... looks awesome whatever it is...

http://www.slaughterhousestudio.com/upl ... reamp2.jpg

also the Gradwell site is really nicely designed, kudos
INDIE TILL I DIE

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:40 am

that's some snare reamping, dude.

hey steve, glad to see you're still around. the drum sound you got for me years ago for "fulton pyser" changed my life!

and i'm half-serious.....i've been getting lots of projects lately, most of them because of the drum sounds i get, keeping what you got for me in my mind.

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:43 am

fulton pyser, wow......i hadnt thought about you guys in a while. i remember your session pretty vividly though and def that crazy drum sound. im glad you were changed by it.

does anyone record for a flat rate per song anymore? i remeber thinking that was pretty wild.

and if you manage to sell and undecided musician on coming to your $65/hr studio over the phone when they can goto a $35/hr studio that advertises the rate i think you should be a car salesman or work at sweetwater. because i doubt that you gain more clients than you scare off, but....if it works for you then what can i say?

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:33 am

>>in any case i always thought that it turned people off to not post rates and you may be scaring people off.
and hey, sometimes the cheap people might have some talent too ya know?<<
That's why I don't post rates. I want to HELP the great people out there who have no manager or record deal to pay for it. I WANT to work on great, unheard music that I can help create. That's much better than tackling whatever comes in the door.

I do have a major label that brings in most of my money. I charge then 2 to 3 times what the local kid pays, and the label is probably LAUGHING that I'm too cheap! But if the "rate" posted was the cheap one, they wouldn't even think I was "pro" (I am), yet I do NOT wanna scare of the new talents out there. I live for doing records with those people...
Relax and float downstream...

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:46 am

First off, I don't charge $65/hour - that's too steep an 'indie/unsigned' rate in my area for any studio, IMO.

Secondly, I've found, all ego aside, that a lot of folks are coming to me even if they can get a studio at half my rate (or sometimes less!) because, as they tell me, my work just sounds better and is worth it. That is the pudding in which I spoke of proof. :) And it's not just talking to them on the phone that sells them, it's telling them honestly that I think they should listen to my recordings, listen to the other studios, ask around for other musicians' opinions, and make up their minds from there. And sometimes, no, they don't come to me, they go to the cheaper place - perhaps because that's all they can afford, or because the other place sounded better to them, or they liked that the other place had an XBox in the lounge. Whatever their reason, I'm honest with them that I think they should make up their minds based on all aspects, not just price. I'm one of the busiest studios out here in Western MA, so I figure I'm doing ok. :)
I'd hate to be a car salesman, 'cause then I'd have to tell potential clients with a straight face that the price I'm quoting is really the lowest I can go, when I would know it isn't. The rate I quote for indie/unsigned bands is the lowest I can reasonable afford to run my place and still make a somewhat decent living. With confidence I can quote that rate and not be "upselling" the price in a shady fashion...

Thirdly, yeah - that was a funky snare re-amp we did a few years back that I happened to have a pic of. Thanks!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:23 pm

gradwellhouse wrote:why is it that studio websites almost always have either no pictures or really shitty pics that dont let you get a good feel for the place? are studios self concious? lazy?

and it seems i can never find their hourly rates posted anywhere. it makes me feel like studios are waiting for people to call about rates and then decide what to charge. does anyone else think this is weird?

in philly, they have a "city paper", its a free weekly paper with show listings and other philly specific stuff in it. anyway...on the back there are always ads for studios ion town but it always says "cheap rates" or some ohter rhetoric.....why!!!! if your so cheap then post your rates!!

so basically.....post your studios url, pics and hourly rate in your responses.
Holy fuck...you recorded dysrythmia? I'm from philly and Lauren (the one-time-singer) used to be a really good friend of mine...I think she left the band, so you might not know her, but she was singing on a 7 inch they did once (I vaguely remember something about a bicycle....?).....I think it was a split with Jersey's own The Guttersnipes. This is really taking me back.

Also, your site is sweet. How much did it cost to have it built/designed/updated...or did you do that yourself?

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:47 pm

dave my partner did the 1st disrythmia cd. i dont think there were vocals.
our website is designed/updated by a friend who we trade recording time for his services. so....its a good deal both ways.
we got our carpet layed for the same deal and we are now looking to trade studio time for HVAC work if you know anyone...

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:11 pm

Here's the (under construction) photo page for my studio.

http://www.459audio.com/photos.html

I never advertise rates for my studio because I try not to run it like a business, but a music making party house. I have a somewhat fixed rate, and 90% of my clients come in word of mouth and have an idea of what I charge. Also the phone calls, visits, and emails from soon to be clients let's me get to know them. If someone emails me and just asks what my rates are I usually don't respond. I pretty much just work with friends, and friends of friends. That way if some weirdo calls up and want's to record, I can just give him the this is a private studio speal.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:25 pm

gradwellhouse wrote:dave my partner did the 1st disrythmia cd. i dont think there were vocals.
our website is designed/updated by a friend who we trade recording time for his services. so....its a good deal both ways.
we got our carpet layed for the same deal and we are now looking to trade studio time for HVAC work if you know anyone...
Yeah, I'm talking about a 7 inch from....oh, 10 years ago or more. Back in the DAY. What do they sound like now? Are they doing well?

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Post by east3rdst » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:57 pm

If its the same DYSRHYTHMIA, then everyone should check them out.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10035

Latest record was done at Electrical Audio, was released on Relapse, rules, and is even more impressive live. I haven't heard the 1st record, but I will check it out.

Also, UPUPDownDown... has some of best drums sounds ever...ever.
Donny Cooper

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:49 pm

Joining in on this post late...

We recently redid our website specifically to give a better feel for what it's like to work here. Have a look.

www.retromedia.net

gradwellhouse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gradwellhouse » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:17 pm

and again, no rates posted.
and.....you didnt even give a hint of them in your post.
but i love the pictures, you can get a real feel for your space with those and the website navigates very well.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:00 pm

east3rdst wrote:If its the same DYSRHYTHMIA, then everyone should check them out.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10035

Latest record was done at Electrical Audio, was released on Relapse, rules, and is even more impressive live. I haven't heard the 1st record, but I will check it out.

Also, UPUPDownDown... has some of best drums sounds ever...ever.
Both bands are from Philly, but this one claims to have formed in 1999, so I guess it's a different band? Maybe one of the used to be in the other dysrhytmia and took the name from the defunct band? Who knows....