Anybody have this switch?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Anybody have this switch?

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:15 pm

It's a DPDT--two rows of three contacts--but the left side is connected to the right by the switch. So that you can have the output wire connected to a middle contact, and then different inputs on the other side so that one position is A and the other is A+B. So if the contacts are

1 2
3 4
5 6

1, 2, 3, 4 are making contact when it's up, and 3, 4, 5, 6 are making contact if it's down.

It's for a stompbox I was working on and f***ed up the switch with superglue. Don't ask.

John.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: Anybody have this switch?

Post by Rodgre » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:27 pm

That doesn't sound like a DPDT to me. It sounds like a SPDT with redundant lugs, no?

Roger

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:44 pm

What is the switch shaped like? (a metal "stomp switch", or a pushbutton actuator that mounts on a PC board?)

You can get a replacement DPDT stomp switch from smallbearelec.com, the dude who runs it is a great guy and ships fast... and has hundreds of rare parts that are useful for stomp boxes!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:08 pm

Rodgre wrote:That doesn't sound like a DPDT to me. It sounds like a SPDT with redundant lugs, no?
Roger--yeah, I guess it is--in fact I was just sitting on my couch wondering if I could just get a SPDT with three lugs and use that. I'll check small bear and radio shack.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:28 pm

SPDT switches are cheaper and easier to find, though Radio Shack will NOT have anything resembling a heavy duty stop switch.

By the way, what is it doing in the circuit? This will tell you what kind of switch you can and can't use.

Smallbear will have what you need, I'm sure.

Roger

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:35 pm

john-

thats a dpdt. If you want passive true bypass, you'll need a dpdt. If you are using it for the stomp switch on a stomp box the part you want is made by Carling. NONE of the big companies stock this heavy duty switch and small bear is your best bet next to the company that distributes sovtek, I can never remember what they are called. Expect to spend about $11 on that switch.

dave