Triggering a sine wave from a kick track

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Triggering a sine wave from a kick track

Post by Auxillary » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:06 am

www.mda-vst.com, goto effects, get the plugin pack. Use the sub-bass synth. set it to key. set your frequency. Set the threshold and release.

have fun.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

Ronan
gettin' sounds

Post by Ronan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:20 am

you dont need a compressor you ned a gate. get a sine wave at the desired frequency recorded on a track. Put a gate on said track and set the gate to external key input. that external input is your kick track. start shakin' the jeep.

IronMaidenX
gettin' sounds

Post by IronMaidenX » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:32 am

How do you do this in Pro Tools?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:55 am

You can do this with any sound. Simply link two gates, one is for the kick, or snare, or whatever, and one is for the constant sound source you wish to "let through" every time the original hits, or sings, or whatever.

Try pink noise for the bottom snare, try low pink noise for the kick! Make it really low, then shape the envelope with the attack/release controls on the gate. make the key gate really quick, and let the perfect taper of the release curve shape the low pink noise burst. Another awesome one, is to play a super legato version of the bass part as root notes on a good synth, super low, and then let it get keyed by the kick drum. Same goes for an arpeggiated gtr line that is playing the same chord for an entire song, then opens up quietly every time the snare is hit. Can make for some amazing ambience that really swells in time with the track.
The sine wave trick was simply for the days before soundreplacer iMO, and can be used for much more interesting sounds these days. I love the envelope shaping possibilities with gates....

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:41 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:You can do this with any sound. Simply link two gates, one is for the kick, or snare, or whatever, and one is for the constant sound source you wish to "let through" every time the original hits, or sings, or whatever.

Try pink noise for the bottom snare, try low pink noise for the kick! Make it really low, then shape the envelope with the attack/release controls on the gate. make the key gate really quick, and let the perfect taper of the release curve shape the low pink noise burst. Another awesome one, is to play a super legato version of the bass part as root notes on a good synth, super low, and then let it get keyed by the kick drum. Same goes for an arpeggiated gtr line that is playing the same chord for an entire song, then opens up quietly every time the snare is hit. Can make for some amazing ambience that really swells in time with the track.
The sine wave trick was simply for the days before soundreplacer iMO, and can be used for much more interesting sounds these days. I love the envelope shaping possibilities with gates....
Joel...that's awesome. But can you clarify that part about tjhe arpeggiated guitar? Should the guitar be playing the some chord throughout the whole song? That would give you kind of a droney thing, right? Like a pedal tone? or should the chord change along with the changes?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:00 am

frist44 wrote:
Ronan wrote:you dont need a compressor you ned a gate. get a sine wave at the desired frequency recorded on a track. Put a gate on said track and set the gate to external key input. that external input is your kick track. start shakin' the jeep.
I meant a gate, my fault...I understand the concept like I said, but I don't know a vst gate in the box that will allow you to key an input from an audio track. any ideas? someone over at gearslutz mentioned, using a plug in to trigger a midi note from the audio track and then use the midi gate to open the frequency generator. I have yet to try it, but it sounds like it would work. I just wish there was a vst gate to do this so i didn't have to mess with midi.

Brandon
you don't need a gate. the sub synth that auxilliary recommended will do exactly what you're asking. and it's free too!

joel, i too think your guitar arpeggio idea is awesome, but would like a little clarification...you're keying it off the snare? slow release?

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:02 am

Golden Gate might work for you.

http://www.sinusweb.de/index2.html

kylethompson
pushin' record

Post by kylethompson » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am

IronMaidenX wrote:How do you do this in Pro Tools?
Pro Tools has an rtas plugin called Signal Generator.

Put this on its own aux track and put the Expander Gate plugin after it.

Click external key on expander gate and select an unused bus for key input.

Go to the kick (or whatever instr) track and open a bus send with the same bus as the key input you just selected on the gate.

Set this send to 0 (usually defaults to - inf)

Set the threshold on the gate so that it opens only on kick hits.

60hz is a good starting point for the signal generator.

Watch out for blown speakers!
"I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand."

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:06 pm

keep in mind I already answered your question with the absolute optimum solution. That plug does the sine/gate automatically for you.

Also in nuendo it should allow side-chained channel gates. If not I dont see why you are bothering to use it. That's just plain silly.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:04 pm

The arpeggiated guitar would only move if you absolutely have to to suit the arrangement. yes with a slow release it can kind of make a song "dance" more. I have done this rather than using a timed delay. Even if you have some guitar part that is single notes.. like plaing in a delay on the snare and hat pattern that is in key with the song. It can be amazing with some hat mis-fires on the gate, or even a gate that is kind of freaking out, but in time with the kit obviously. like a really light, fast gate that opens no matter what the drummer is doing, but closes in between the hits... you could have a synth line being chopped up by the drummer in real time, and adjust the attack and release until it sounds the wrongest/rightest/prettiest/best for the song and the arrangement...

I did a weird thing, by keying a gate with the click track, but playing with the attack and release... I got a click track that "played the song" so the drummer would feel more comfortable with it!

Like a click triggering a gate, the gate "letting" a synth or guitar through on the 8th notes... Perfect timing, but a forgiving, melodic element. Awesome.

Best way to get a drummer with a fear of the click to play in time for you!

(I just gave away a really good trick BTW...)