Monitors by M-Audio

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SqueeGees
gimme a little kick & snare

Monitors by M-Audio

Post by SqueeGees » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:38 am

Ive used The M-audio delta 4/10 for a few years, and am so far happy with what i paid for.

I need new speakers and was looking at the M-Audio LX4 2.1 surround sound system and the 5.1 expansion to round off my studio and optimize my soundcard.

I need to know (from other consumers) if iam getting a good deal,
I will end up paying around four hundred and twenty dollars for the package.

I was thinking i would go with M-audio to ensure compatability between the sound card and the monitors, but if any of you know a better bang for the buck, then please pass the information or links. Thanks

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Monitors by M-Audio

Post by Auxillary » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:41 am

for 420$ you can get much better. The lx4 are terrible.

Do you really need surround?
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 am

no need to ensure compatability between sound card and speakers. the sound card doesn't care where its outputs are going and the speakers don't care where the input is coming from as long as the signal is clean. i agree--for the money there are better choices, until you hear a speaker in your space, you don't know if it's right for you. 2 powered speakers and a powered sub for $400... well, i wouldn't imagine you'll hear a vast difference in anything in that price range, but unfortunately i don't have anything to recommend.

SqueeGees

Post by SqueeGees » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:05 pm

Auxillary wrote:for 420$ you can get much better. The lx4 are terrible.

Do you really need surround?

like what brand, do you have any you would recomend?

Yes ive got the soundcard for that reason, so that i could mix my songs in surround sound.
The speakers are the only thing i need to push my system to its limits, once i get those iam set...

iam not in a hurry but i would like to get these asap so that i can start sierous recording.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:20 am

Why are you mixing in surround sound? Are you going to release everything on dvd? There's not a lot of sense if its typical music (pop,rock,folk,rap,etc).. not soundtrack, or atmospheric, etc.

Also, you really can't get a good surround setup for that money. However you may be able to get two decent speakers and an amp for that. If you are on that kind of a budget you'll be much better off with either 2 powered monitors or a stereo amp and 2 speakers which you can always add to later if you want surround.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

SqueeGees

Post by SqueeGees » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:34 am

So it seems ill have to bide my time, save some more dough, and buy a better surround system than what i can afford now...

I do plan on using my music over a series of short films that iam makeing, I will be using a number of didgy cams and doing all the editing and synching on my PC, and if it is in surround then all the better....

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Man i support you gettin the surround. Its people like these guys who are keeping us from going forward into surround sound. Yea, you won't have the sweetest setup possible, but you'll be practicing and learning to make surround mixes better. And when it does become standard you'll be light years ahead of these guys. I say go for it!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

SqueeGees

Post by SqueeGees » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:47 pm

thanks for the support...

you would'nt happen to know of any good brands out there...
mabey post a link for me...

once again thanks.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:20 am

check out musicians friend for deals they sometimes have on packages.
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"