Washburn D10 acoustic?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
janusmusic
pushin' record

Washburn D10 acoustic?

Post by janusmusic » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:58 am

I'm looking for an inexpensive ($300 or less) usable guitar and I heard good things about these. Anyone have any experience recording one of these guitars? There are so many in that price range now but this one always comes up. I can go to guitar center and try some out but there are way to many and the ears get washed out after about 6 or so(for me at least) so if anyone has been happy with acoustics in the lower price range, I'd really appreciatte it if you could please let me know what kind it was.JUs trying to narrow it down..this would mainly be for tracking.
Thanks,
Brian

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Washburn D10 acoustic?

Post by kayagum » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:16 am

My favorite sub $400 acoustic is the Seagull.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm

If you see any "Simon and Patrick" guitars, that's basically the budget version of the Seagull, which is still pretty playable.

Most famous use of Seagulls: Kim Deal playing a Seagull through a Marshall for the Breeders' Last Splash

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:25 am

The Taylor Big Baby is cool!

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:41 am

Thanks for the tips!! I'll check them out.
Bri

Turbo7
audio school

Post by Turbo7 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:05 am

I have had a Washburn D12 for 7 years and it still plays and sounds great, which is usually not the case for a $300 guitar. I would rather track a D28, but for the money, the Washburn was a great buy.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:06 am

I'll second that the Taylor Big Babys are incredibly nice. They feel great and sound wonderful.

I playing a lefty Fender DG14S that's great. Its satin finish (like you'd encounter on a Taylor Big Baby) just gives it a much richer character than a lot of cheap guitars provide.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:26 am

My taste in acoustic guitars is usually considered silly, but I give a grand poo poo to everything Taylor, YUK!!! , that is, except for one of their first guitars that my friend had that was cracking all over the back of it. Maybe it was the cracks.
If I were you I'd play all the Seagull's you can get your hands on. These guitars sound a little different to me that the usual "sustain is everything" treble dikkers.
Seagulls I've found, usually have a big bottom, and have a hint of the same kind of bluesy as an older gibson, though certainly not as rich.
But if you can find a '70's Yamaha laminate, that's where it's at. The two best sounding guitars I've ever owned are 70's Yamaha laminates. And I've owned a 1970 D-28S, and a 1949 Gibson LG2. I don't know. Don't pay any attention to any guitar salesman or anybody else. A lot of the time you can buy gear online without hearing it, by doing some research, and getting people's opinion's here and elswhere and make some good choices, but not with guitars. Every one is different, and only your ears can tell you what's good. Course, sometimes your earls lie to you, dammit.
If your heart tells you that your ears are lying, get out of the store, pronto!!! And always mic it with an SM57!!!.
No, just kidding.

No, just kidding again. 57's rock on acoustic!!!!
Good Luck!!!
HONK

Gregorio Cortez
ass engineer

Post by Gregorio Cortez » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:27 am

I've had a D10 for about six years.. besides the shitty tuning pegs it has been a solid unit for recording.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:49 am

Three words: YAMAKI DELUXE FOLK. Go check eBay now. They are Japanese Martin knockoffs from the 70's and kick Seagull's ass--I know, because I had an S6 that I liked!

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:54 am

I'd be a little too nervous to buy an acoustic on ebay..
I understand it's all about my ears et. etc. stock answer etc. But tracking is different sound travel out not up I'm not ready to get all cirque do soilel on it to get my ear in front of the sound hole while playing..although that could come in handy..there is a built in eq in most acoustics and the smoother the better with out twisting knobs..that's what I'm looking for something that is easy to track...I'll check out the ones mentioned here so thanks everyone.

Bri

transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by transmothra » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:03 am

be my guinea pig and buy a Michael Kelly... they're beautiful as all hell and he regularly auctions them on eBay for next to nothing. i read one or two glowing reviews about them, too.

for my money, nothing can beat a Washburn. most underrated acoustic guitars ever. at least in the "best bang for your buck" category.
...do you believe that?

jeremyjarratt.com | bandcamp | soundcloud

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:05 am

Has anyone played a Framus? Any good?

My main acoustic's a Hohner Jumbo. It plays nicely. $110 used.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:44 pm

I usually hate Taylor guitars but the Big Baby and the Baby are really cool guitars!

You may also want to check out an old Harmony Sovereign they REALLY cool for the money! It's said that Page used his for the acoustic parts of "Stairway to Heaven" and many others.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:13 pm

I really like the older Harmony Sovereigns. The birch plywood Regals with painted binding are great little blues boxes. 70's plywood Yamahas with the red labels in the sound hole are pretty awesome. For new stuff, the Seagulls sound nice. I normally play a beat to shit 60's Gibson B-25. Once broken off headstock, back stripped of lacquer, pickguard pried off with a screwdriver. (none of this by me...but it's the best playing and sounding B-25 I've played, and stomps on most LGs.)
The trick with the old cheapies - Regal, Kay, MayBell, Harmony, and Silvertone is to spend the $$$ on a really good setup. Sure, the box was only about $100, and the setup might nearly be that...but it makes playing the thing a pleasure.
I have a pretty cool little Regal...solid wood. It was cheap (under $100) and beat. A neck press, new bridge, good setup, and a fret dress was quite a bit more than the guitar. But at a total of maybe $250, it outshines my Weber at 10x the price.
As for Taylors...unless you are super anal about monitoring humidity issues...i.e. dampit, case all the time, hydrometer...they really seem hyper sensitive to climate changes. I live in MN, so the changes are extreme, but most Taylors I've seen that have really been played for a few years have either some fingerboard splits or top splits. Given that sensitivity, they aren't for me...but they seem to play and sound OK.

Frank