Passive vs. Acitve Monitors

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Which do you prefer, active monitors or passive?

Active
70%
Passive
30%

Total votes: 23

Keegan
audio school graduate

Passive vs. Acitve Monitors

Post by Keegan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:27 am

I'm looking to get some monitors for my home/project studio. Is there any advantage to choosing passive monitors vs active ones?

What are some of your favorite monitors and amplifiers and why?

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Re: Passive vs. Acitve Monitors

Post by Devlars » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:12 am

Active monitors please and thank you...but that's only because it's all I've ever used. I will say passive seems as though it may be a bit less hassle once you'e got everything set up and in it's place though.
Last edited by Devlars on Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:55 am

Passives - because a good amp can be used with better speakers in future or multiple sets now. I kind doubt the average active has amps that can match the quality of my Expensivwerks 2100s....

Keegan
audio school graduate

Post by Keegan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:20 am

That was my take on the issue, I figured there was some advatnage to be had in having seperate components. It seemed to me that it would open up expasion and upgrade possibilities. However I'm sure this would no doubt complicate setup. Any suggestions for a newbie, I suppose "get active monitors" would be one way to go, but I'd like to keep an eye on the future. Maintenance and upgradability are big concerns for me.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:42 am

i got actives cuz

1) i travel to spots. makes it easier.

2) the specific monitor's (BM6a) amps are good amps.

if i didn't and they weren't i'd go passives. amp selection makes a huge difference! ns10's with a great amp are a different set of monitors...

Mike

Punkity
gettin' sounds

Post by Punkity » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm more inclined toward active monitors. Given my way of working, I have to be mobile. A power amp is just another thing to schlep around and take up space. Besides, the better active monitors have amps that are dedicated in design to their speakers and enclosures.

All in all, it isn't a big deal to me.
Signage of the times.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:45 pm

The way I look at it, good actives have the amp that works best with the speakers, passives can sound different depending on the amp you are using. Also actives have active crossovers which in my opinion sound cleaner and crisper than passive crossovers.

In my set up I have a pair of active ADAM P11s and a set of passive Tannoy ProtoJ's. The ADAM's are WAY cleaner and clearer than the Tannoys, but the Tannoys sound more like normal bookshelf speakers. I use the ADAMs during tracking and tweaking, and use the Tannoys for overall level balancing.

I think of active monitors like condenser mics, clear, crisp, and passives like dynamics, smooth, ritch, and Auritones like ribbons :lol:

my 2?

Keegan
audio school graduate

Post by Keegan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:48 am

Up until now I had pretty much convinced my self that passive monitors were the way to go. I'm begining to think that a good set of actives may be the better option for me. Perhaps I'll check out the much mentioned TR-8s. I'll have to scan the other threads real quick

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:58 am

I have a pair of M Audio actives that are fairly nice. A friend of mine preffered them over his Mackie 824somethingorothers?
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:09 am

I use both.
NS10's, and KRK V88's. I love active monitors. If I never have to get a power amp for a studio again, I will be really happy.

I love the ease of active monitors, and the lack of cabling. clean installation, good sound.

If I was buying new monitors today I would be 100% looking at active models. Nice ones, rather than the cost of a good amp, all associated wire (it adds up if you r power amp is more than 4 feet away from your console, and your speakers!!!) , monitors, and even rack space and/or cooling... Lame. Go Active.