former spectrum studio console headed for the dump - HALP!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
puls
takin' a dinner break

former spectrum studio console headed for the dump - HALP!

Post by puls » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:36 pm

I know someone here in portland, OR that works in a studio. He told me they have an old spectrum studio custom designed console that they have to physically remove from the studio Thursday. They have nowhere to store it & my friend says he just doesn't have the room to keep it for himself; so it may be headed for the dump :oops: . Mind you, the console is 30-35 years old, as big as a couch (he said the power supply is larger than a large endtable) on a hefty aluminum frame. He said the console was a hassle to maintain & they originally had someone in house to fix it whenever something wouldn't work. I may be able to talk my landlord into letting me keep it in the garage so I could check it out, but that has complications for me also. I'm going to try to get a look at it to see just what it's like. It seems to me it would be a shame to see it go to the dump. Anyone perhaps interested in giving it a home if I can't find a place for it?

John Puls

post replys here on the tapeop board w/an email or phone # & I'll try to keep you updated.
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

linus
re-cappin' neve

Re: former spectrum studio console headed for the dump - HAL

Post by linus » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:41 pm

Even if you can't put it to use get it.

Rent a mini-storage space, rent a truck (or a moving company) and save it from the dump.

If you can't put it to use (or find a home for it) you could part it out. "Vintage" mic pre's sell for fat cash on Ebay and I'll bet some folks here would love to be able to buy a couple channels of pre's and get them rack mounted. Hell, I might be interested in buying a couple channels from you.

You could MAKE MONEY on this deal and end up buying other more practical gear (like a working board of a reasonable size).

Just do it.

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:56 pm

you read my mind. Parting the channel strips out was EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm not real good w/electronics, but I know some folks who are. Could be a gold mine (could be a dud - need to look at the board). Worst thing that could happen is I need to hire a mover to dispose of it at some point.
Heck, I wouldn't mind having a few of those pre's myself.

JWP
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:21 pm

if its free to walk away with,let me see what i can do.i can probobly get it off your hands

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:23 pm

p.s.

i really hate seeing a full console get chopped up like that.

its like watching a nice car get taken to the chop shop,ya know?

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:44 pm

hey frizeyed, give me your email & I'll keep you informed. Keep in mind this board weighs in the hundreds of pounds catagory. He told me him & four other people were going to try & lift it into the back of his truck.

JWP

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:15 pm

The latest:
I'm going to the studio w/them on Sat. to check it out & help load it into the truck. I have permission from my landlord to store the console in the garage. The garage is dry & kept locked. Then I can check it out & decide what to do w/it. If I decide it's not worth my time & trouble, I could hold onto it for someone to pick it up. The console was custom made, so as far as I know it doesn't have a 'name' on it. I'll know more once I actually get to see it. It seems like it would be a shame for it to end up at the dump.

John

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:15 pm

my e-mail adress is frizeyed@aol.com

my dad,and i rebuild consoles,so the shape of the console isnt too important as long as its complete.

id love to know what you find out about it.

chris

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:47 pm

Well, for those who are interested:
The console is now in the garage, and it is a beast. Probably 200 lbs. (at least) in just aluminum framing. Was board number 3 of three made for spectrum studios by the 'sphere' company. Has 16 mic channels in (all with adjustable high & low pass shelving & parametric mid EQ) plus a 16 channel monitor mix section which I was told can also be used as line inputs. Channel strips are too long to fit in rack horizontally (could mount several of them vertically though). Console was built to remotely control a 16 track reel-to-reel. Output was designed to go directly to record heads on reel-to-reel, so (i'm told) there were some custom made level adjustment electronics with it to allow more versatile useage. Also has a producer's station that conects to the end of the console (that's still at the studio, not in the garage, but can still be had). I'm not an electronics kinda guy. Make patch cord, no big deal. Backward analize a circiut board, forget it.
I am going to aquire copies of the notes the previous owner's son had made while he worked on the board for his dad. Also has (I think) some of the original manuals that came w/the console. This is really more than I can use or even get my brain around right now. I'll decide if I want to take the parts of it I want & then scrap the rest, or if I can find someone willing to come pick it up & give it a new home. I will NOT ship it anywhere - it's too big. Will be emailing LC soon to see if he knows anyone that might be interested in it also.

JWP

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:21 pm

Looks like you scored big time. Sphere's are supposed to be incredible consoles.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:23 pm

Go here and look at Sphere. Does it look like any of those?
http://www.recordingconsoles.net/consoles/consoles.htm

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:33 pm

if its anything like the ones meriphew linked to you indeed did score big time..

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:42 pm

dc11
gettin' sounds

Post by dc11 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:47 pm

If you plan on parting it out, I'll snag a couple of strips from you. dcarter11@hotmail.com

I wish I could snag that thing. I don't have a way to get it here though.
My knob taste funny

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:29 pm

Thanks for the links & info. Will not be making a hastey decision on this, but will keep everyone informed.

JWP