turntable/preamp for sampling

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cwileyriser
pushin' record

turntable/preamp for sampling

Post by cwileyriser » Sat May 10, 2003 10:16 am

I want to get a turntable (and I guess a phono preamp?) for my home studio to be plugged into my Korg Triton for sampling vinyl stuff.

Any ideas? Not looking for anything audiophile quality - just what I need to do some decent sampling. Stuff I can find on eBay would be cool.

Thanks for any suggestions.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Re: turntable/preamp for sampling

Post by percussion boy » Sat May 10, 2003 11:20 am

I got my old Hill Multimix (12 x 4 mixer) for like $250 on e-bay, and it has RIAA jacks which I think are intended specifically for turntable, although they're 1/4". Haven't tried this application though.

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Sat May 10, 2003 12:45 pm

yeah riaa is another way of saying phono input.

get something classy like a used thorens or something. also, if there's a dealer around you, music hall makes a good cheap entry level hifi turntable. if you really don't care, get a cheapo used technics or something. unless you're gonna be scratching, don't believe the hype about the tech sl-1200's. the main benefits of those have to do specifically with dj applications (they're bulletproof, they reach the proper speed very quickly, they're direct drive.) but just for sampling, any decent home unit is cool.

goldenarmes
ass engineer

Post by goldenarmes » Sat May 10, 2003 1:04 pm

i run my vinyl through a gram slee gram amp 2 SE for sampling. it's really nice. check some reviews on it. its $300.00 but its a well spent $300.00
peace

j

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat May 10, 2003 1:24 pm

In a pinch, you can use any home stereo with phono inputs as a phono preamp.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Sat May 10, 2003 6:05 pm

I just bought a Project One turntable for around $300 new. I'm still using the stock cartridge (I'd love a Grado cartridge), but I think it sounds great.

-mark

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sun May 11, 2003 1:49 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I got a used Rotel RP1000 with a new belt and new stylus for $50. Any specific preamp tips? Especially what to avoid?

eflatminor
audio school graduate

Post by eflatminor » Sun May 11, 2003 4:13 pm

First thing you want to do is avoid the DJ/scratcher type turntable like Techniques. They're designed to be manipulated at the cost of fidelity. If you're on a tight budget, I would highly recommend the Music Hall MMF 1, which comes mounted with a decent cartridge (a moving magnet cartridge, which you'll want at this price range). It would cost in the neighboorhood of $225 new. If you can afford it, the higher end Music Hall models are really killer.

While you could certainly find a used MMF 1 or other Music Hall model, I would HIGHLY recommend you buy it from a local stereo shop. You'll want their tech to set it up for you. Buying any turntable at an independant stereo shop, new or use, will virtually ensure you don't get crap. By the way, Music Hall isn't the only maker of affordable turntables. If the shop has other options in your price range, have 'em play a few records for you. In fact, bring a few records you know to listen to.

For a phono preamp, if you have a stereo receiver that has a phono stage build in, you can use that. Be careful - many modern stereo systems may have an input on the preamp marked "phono" however, there's no phono stage inside the unit - it's just the recommended input for your separate phono preamp.

NAD makes a phono pre called the PP-1. It'll sell for around $100. There are cheaper pres. This guy has one for 28 bucks: http://www.audioreplay.net/indexg.html

Good luck