audio/visual

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MichaelAlan
tinnitus

audio/visual

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:45 am

I am getting rid of my DAW. MOTU setup. I cannot handle the psychological importance my brain places on sight while trying to listen. I have become a sight junkie...I'm addicted. I catch myself doing the following: Watching the meters on screen for levels while mixing instead if LISTENING, making sure there is enough attenuation by whatching the comp. meter. I have, on a few occasions, cut/boosted more gain while EQ'ing because it didn't LOOK like the little line on the screen moved! In my mind, I can't hear it change if i don't see it move. The digital domain has taught me to mix based on what the screen tells my eyes. i have in effect forsaken my ears!! I bought a tascam 16 track. 1/2" And I have to replace some junk in my rack with good stuff. Are there any good EQ's (Preferably more than one channel) for under $600?

By the way, the computer is going for $800 on ebay! (MAC G4 800Mhz)

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: audio/visual

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:39 am

often what I'll do, especially when listening to a final mix with clients, is just turn the screen off.
you'd be AMAZED how different things sound when there are no cursors moving across lie-detector markings.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:42 am

The "it doesn't look right" syndrome is pretty easy to fall into with a DAW. My workaround is a control surface and the off switch on my monitor. I'll switch the screen off and get the balance of my mix going with the contol surface faders. Turn the screen on, EQ, compress, effects. etc. Turn it off. Listen. On. Tweak. Off. Listen. On... I find myself closing my eyes alot during the tweaks. Kind of a pain, but it works for me.

I've read great stuff about the Speck EQ.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:46 am

OK i feel better cause i thought i was the only one doing that!! another thing i'm starting to try to do is press F11 key on MAC's and the program windows dock to the sides and you look at your desktop picture, so put something trippy/cool/ etc.. up there and then you'll be able to listen that way. Its a lot quicker than waiting for your screen to come back up after shutting it down.
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:56 am

Hey thanks for the F11 trick!
I dig keyboard shortcuts.
Any Function keys that fetch you a beer or wrap cable?
:lol:

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:47 am

beer = f7, cable wrap = f3

this is only on osx3.5

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 pm

I first noticed the problem when mastering with T-racks. I would open a song in it, and hear all sorts of things I didn't notice while mixing.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:14 pm

What MOTU pieces do you have and are you going to sell them?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:44 am

I still stare at the VU's oon tape machines. Mixing has way more to do with your brain than your ears!

Make decisions based on all the information available to you, including your eyes sometimes.

mentally filtering information coming at you is a huge part of this job, whether it is protools wavforms, a VU that is freaking out, a guitar player that wont stop talking really loud, a phone ringing, a cursor going across a screen, the physical position of the faders (that CANT be right!>??) or the squeak of your chair as you go to do a volume ride on the quiet part of the song...

Deal with it. Using the tools requires a different set of mental "rules" for each tool...