Gibson acoustic gtr challenge!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Re: Gibson acoustic gtr challenge!!

Post by theBlubberRanch » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:29 pm

Someone was telling me that the folks over in Bozeman are actually spraying 100% nitro as opposed to many others who aren't.

I recently played a Gibson AJ that was real good, I don't know about new Gibsons being shit, I think the quality control is way better now than through some of those periods Gibson went through.

But seriously once you get to a point it doesn't matter, it's all just different flavors.

And furthermore it is all in the hands, so spend more time playing that worrying about what guitar to play.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:04 pm

If you have 3K to spare on an acoustic, you're in a great position and will probably get a really good guitar...

But the rest of us? For the money, I think 60's pre-japan Epiphones are really amazing and sound lovely. If you want to do Drake type fingerpicking, you'll probably get a smaller, tighter sound from a cheap Epiphone (a Caballero or a Texan) than a bigass Hummingbird or Dove. They're made in America with very high quality, but haven't commanded the insane prices that old Gibsons do. And they're EVERYWHERE, really common and durable.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:23 pm

IMHO, the Hummingbird is difficult to play.

The J-45 has a versatile tone that reacts well to the subtle nuances of "Style" which empowers you more as the guitarist.

The J-45 is easier to play and has "balls" when you lay the hammer down but has excellent response when fingerpicking.

The J-45 has that classic gibson neck that feels substantial in your hands, like a Les Paul Standard and it can take a little rough handling on the road.

Did I say I'd recommend a J-45 yet?

I'd recommend a J-45

;0P

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:59 pm

swelle wrote: a cheap Epiphone (a Caballero or a Texan)
Texans go pretty high these days! Has anyone played the elite reissue? It looks really nice.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:35 pm

Killer guitar alert......
I just was tooling around in a little known, new guitar shop here in town today and ran across what you need....
It's a real Gibson made, 60s Epiphone Texan, square shoulder model. Made in the old Gibson Kalamazoo plant. It's not cheap, but you'd love it. It's the paul mccartney model. I think this one's either a 66 or 68, I forget as I was looking at tons of guitars today.
Anyway, It was tagged 1895. Let me know if you want details on the shop.
Later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher