Cheesy pro audio magazine ads

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Cheesy pro audio magazine ads

Post by Meriphew » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:21 pm

Albro Swift wrote:Man, you guys forgot the worst one ever:

The RODE mic ad with the creepy president guy and the dramatic backlighting. He looks like some kinda cross between Don Juan, Dracula and a pedophile.

Ew, I get shivers and want to bathe just thinking about it.... :kotzen:

...and the copy? Something about how their mics are the best because they've got great TEST equipment?
He needs to lose that earring. He looks like he's a con artist.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:45 pm

I agree about the Liquid Channel ad. it seems like they are trying to sell a $3500 piece of gear to a 12 year old kid. What the hell is "splash" supposed to mean. Wow, how long did it take those guys to come up with that. Is that the sound of me spending $3500 or is that sound of me putting cold water on my face to try to wake up from an advertising nightmare. Do we, as mostly grown up intelligent people need these ridiculous ads to try to sell us something? I realize advertising serves it's purpose. I want to know about the new products as much as anyone does, but do we need a guy holding a mic up to a bunch of penguins to illustrate the point. Whatever happenned to a simple picture of the product wioth its specs and features listed. I know what gear I want from reading quality gear reviews like in tape op, on forumslike this one and the 3D Audio forum, or from suggestions from other colleagues, not because some dude on a water ski told me to buy it. Come on already. Don't they know wakeboarding is much cooler. Maybe if Tony Visconti was holding a Neumann mic while doing a 360 on a wakeboard, I would consider buying it.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:00 pm

Although the Liquid Channel was reviewed in Tape OP, I can still hate the ad. I have nothing against Focusrite or Millenia whos ads I dislike. I also hate the quotes placed in ads by users in the pro audio community. Ones like "I have used this brand X pre-amp on every sesion, how did I ever get along the last 30 years without it" or " My vocal tracks have never sounded better using this $15 LDC microphone. I will never use my U47 again" you guys know it is all poop. If said company offered me money to endorse something I don't think I would turn down the cash, I just would never really use it, unless it didn't suck.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:28 pm

Meriphew wrote: He looks like he's a con artist.
well, he does work for RODE....

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:37 pm

What about that ad for some guitar program that had that cheesedick holding a strat and grinning a huge, shit eating grin at the camera? I can't remember what it's for (congratulations, ad team...nice going), but I see it all the time in mags.

chikkenguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by chikkenguy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:55 pm

the rode ads are by far the worst. the millenia one is pretty dorky too, but it doesnt get much worse than the rode guy saying "how i spent a million dollars" i wonder what he looks like in real life

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:28 pm

Any ad for a "Do it yourself at home" kind of product. Like a guy sitting in his room with a computer, acoustic guitar micked with the company's $13 shotgun, singing into the electrocute-your-lip condenser, with all the gear neatly arranged in full view of the camera. I usually hate the guy's haircut too.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:49 pm

Godammit, I wrote a GREAT review of the new Behringer Multicom, why won't they quote me?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:59 pm

While it was Ross Hogarth who first exposed me to the Royer mics, seeing him the ad is hilarious. I mean, giving the 'ok' sign? Lol.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:11 pm

the "be a recording engineer*train at home*" ad thats been running in magazines since the 80's is pretty smooth. always in the back of any and all music related magazine. which is fine- but i'd think after that insanely long, they'd brew up a new design. the sheer longevity of that ad ( with a guy rocking a 4-track of all things) counts for something, i suppose.
-travis

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:16 am

All the major manufacturers seem way out of touch with what would actually be appealing to an engineer. Maybe they havent met any..... Sure seems like it sometimes.

I would have a picture of a mic pre, with a shark and a robot battling to get it at the top of a spooky castle, where the ultimate dark knight waits to guard this ultimate mic pre from the "future of vintage recording TM."

Then a kid on a mountain bike would be yelling "totally extreme" upside down in the air giving the "hang loose" with both hands, drinking something that vaguely- but- doesnt- infringe- upon.. mountain dew would be snatching the thing from behind the knights back that was watching the shark and robot battle.

The mic pre would have a 32 inch light bulb in it that lit up a 52 rack space sign that reads "TUBE MIC PRE WARMTH INSIDE."

At the very bottom of the unit would be a smokey gtr amp thingy with duct tape holding it to the bottom of the chassis. The gain control would be the steering wheel from the titanic, but reproduced in bakelite.

This would be for "entry level hobbyists up to the most seasoned veteran recordist"

It would be called the "LA62BA6A EXTERMINATOR" and would list for 189.00 US at guitar center.

The end.

Was that off topoic???

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:12 am

I think most studio owners would buy a mic pre that has a built-in lava lamp and Bambu dispensor.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:14 am

Its not exactly pro audio related, but I hate that David Burge "You Can Have Perfect Pitch" ads you see in Guitar Player and Keyboard magazines. They put a wig on the same guy for Guitar Player and a short hair for the Keyboard ads.

CA

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:59 am

Generally, I don't read ads. My favorite is the one where Mackie claims that, after all their research and development, the pre's on their 500 dollar mixer outperform pre's which cost thousands of dollars.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:06 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:All the major manufacturers seem way out of touch with what would actually be appealing to an engineer. Maybe they havent met any..... Sure seems like it sometimes.

I would have a picture of a mic pre, with a shark and a robot battling to get it at the top of a spooky castle, where the ultimate dark knight waits to guard this ultimate mic pre from the "future of vintage recording TM."

Then a kid on a mountain bike would be yelling "totally extreme" upside down in the air giving the "hang loose" with both hands, drinking something that vaguely- but- doesnt- infringe- upon.. mountain dew would be snatching the thing from behind the knights back that was watching the shark and robot battle.

The mic pre would have a 32 inch light bulb in it that lit up a 52 rack space sign that reads "TUBE MIC PRE WARMTH INSIDE."

At the very bottom of the unit would be a smokey gtr amp thingy with duct tape holding it to the bottom of the chassis. The gain control would be the steering wheel from the titanic, but reproduced in bakelite.

This would be for "entry level hobbyists up to the most seasoned veteran recordist"

It would be called the "LA62BA6A EXTERMINATOR" and would list for 189.00 US at guitar center.

The end.

Was that off topoic???
Damn, Joel... maybe you're spending to much time on the forum... You're starting to sound like BEARD_WITH_BEES.

Not that that's a bad thing.

|<|>|