Cheap ass electric guitar thread

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Cheap ass electric guitar thread

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:18 am

Okey,

What do you guys like?
I personally think there are a shitload of great cheapo electrics out there, worth being your main guitar, even.

A higher percentage of electrics than acoustics I'd say, though I don't wanna discredit the 70's Yamahas.

But anyway. . . . Harmony? Cheopo Epiphones? Squire?

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Re: Cheap ass electric guitar thread

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:45 am

honkyjonk wrote:Okey,

What do you guys like?
I personally think there are a shitload of great cheapo electrics out there, worth being your main guitar, even.

A higher percentage of electrics than acoustics I'd say, though I don't wanna discredit the 70's Yamahas.

But anyway. . . . Harmony? Cheopo Epiphones? Squire?
One that falls under the radar quite often is the Heritage guitar company.
They are made in the old Gibson Kalamazoo plant by ex-Gibson employees using pre-Norlin guitar practices. I have an H140 Goldtop (les Paul special) that has long tenon neck construction that was made in 2003. I replaced the pickups (schaller) the Burstbucker Pros and have a light "les paul" that kicks my Gibson Les Paul Custom's ass in weght and tone.

You can quite often find these on eBay for under $600.00.
I got mine used for $450.00 from a friend.
Bill~~~

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:56 am

I've still got the Teisco delRey that was my first guitar. $5 at a 2nd hand store when I was in high school, and it still sounds great. I finally upgraded to a Strat because those old Japanese cheapies have narrow necks and I have big hands.

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:14 am

I have a DeArmond SG copy that's really cool. I don't see it on harmony-central. Got it for $300. That's sort of.. cheap. Anyone else have a guitar by them?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:23 am

jdsowa wrote:I have a DeArmond SG copy that's really cool. I don't see it on harmony-central. Got it for $300. That's sort of.. cheap. Anyone else have a guitar by them?
I used to have one of those--Musician's Friend blew it out for $100! They're pretty good, I agree. I sold it and ended up with a DeArmond Starfire, which I've praised here many times before. Great, great guitar.

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:19 am

I've got a few that kind of rock...

1) Gibson Invader - Very cool little les paul style guitar that has duncans in it I think. I got it with a little fender SS amp for $400 from a friend of a friend. They come up on ebay and in pawn shops now and again. Extremely light body, great neck and amazing sound. I've get everything from heavy, heavy sounds to Yo La Tengo-ish atmosphere.

2) Heritage - I've got a H535. I'd wanted a 335 forever and started readinng up on there and went for it. I got custom finish and it's just a thing of beauty. Not really cheap though...

3) My new lust, as far as cheap guitars go, is an Agile. They're getting way hyped on lots of forums on the (fenderforum, Harmony Central forum, etc...) and some of the FDP guys have some nice guitars and still love these. I'd kind of the like the p90 Goldtop Les Paul style they make. Prices are rediculously low and they're supposed to be well built on the whole. The threads I've read also mention that the guy you do the ordering from is pretty cool and will handpick a cherry for you if you ask nice. Here's a link to the site: http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:24 am

The guitar player in my band got a guitar for free. Epiphone Les. The guy gave it to him and said " I don;t want aything for it. Just do remember it was free and do the same for someone else." He switchhed electronics from a Gibson Studio, and it sounds better than any gibson I've ever heard. It's SO freaking loud but still has a sweet clean sound. Best cheap (free) guitar ever.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:25 am

Danelectro. Good enough for Jimmy Page = good enough for anybody else.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:27 am

although not hip cool or vintage, esp ltd. ec300 was pretty cheap and played amazingly. if you hated the pick-ups, you could change them. theres one with P-90's on ebay. it bet it rules the world.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:46 pm

anyone ever play any of the late 70's early 80's electra's??

i scored a les paul copy with the wavy headstock for $70 a few years ago that has been an amazingly great guitar. it plays, sounds and tracks great... and looks funky to boot.

how about
harmony
silvertone
kay
univox
hondo
hagstrom
supro?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:04 pm

I like the new Squires.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:32 pm

I played in a band with a guy that played a hohner tele (2 humbucker custom/deluxe? I always get thoise confused...) That kicked ass. If you have ever hearsd a shiner record, you have heard that guitar....

Amazing. Those can be found for little money.

I have an epiphone scrolltop II that I got for 300 dollars at a pawnshop. Totally kicks butt, and is as long as a bass... Such a great tone from that long scale neck. I played that gtr and a Les Paul custom in Shiner, and the singer played the hohner. Awesome combo.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:38 pm

I don't have any specifics (however those Agiles look like a great deal) but the best is to make sure you play all the cheap guitars in the guitar shop. WHile 90% may be junk there are that 10% that slip through that are just awesome!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:07 pm

Definately Danelectro - the U2 reissues can't be beat.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:33 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I played in a band with a guy that played a hohner tele (2 humbucker custom/deluxe? I always get thoise confused...) That kicked ass. If you have ever hearsd a shiner record, you have heard that guitar....

Amazing. Those can be found for little money.
Prince played one of those too, when wasn't playing that ugly-ass custom thing.

The second guitar I ever had was a silverburst lotus LP copy. It has a set neck, binding, real wood. sounded awesome. I paid $200 and ended up trading it for a Kramer that was a slab o' shit because Eddie endorsed them