Seminar with Don Depew 11/14/04.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:18 am

Hey all -

I'm setting up some seminars in the NE ohio area at different studios/ shops/ living rooms. 'Class' size is gonna be limited to around 10. Cost: about 30 bucks a head depending on expenses. (We're trying to just cover the engineer's/ artist's day rate. All $ goes to him/her.)

The first one will be happening on Sunday, 11/14/04 from Noon- Five. It will be with Don Depew @ 609 Recording in Bedford, Ohio and will focus on tracking. About 1/2 the time will be spent asking questions and Don dropping knowledge in an informal type of chat. The other 1/2 of the time we will be tracking a band's basics with the rare opportunity to ask questions as we go?instead of shutting up and waiting until everything is done. It will be laid back and friendly.

Don is a master. My fave engineer in town. I worked out at 609 in '97 or '98 and stole all his tricks but ended up sucking anyway - funny how that happens. To me, what you'll learn from Don watching him work is worth way more than the price of admission. Some of his bigger 'credits' include GBV, J. Mascis, My Dad is Dead, GEM, New Bomb Turks, Breaker, Monster Truck Five, Wayne Kramer and most of bands in Cleveland that I love. He's as seasoned as a smokie. (Those who know Don are signed up to see if he will say more than 2 words?) We will also reveal the best kick drum mic for under 100 dollars.

This one has about 7 folks already signed up @ 30 bucks a head. 2 or 3 more spots to go. If yer interested - PM me here. We're all friendly idiots?don't worry about feeling weird. I will be drinking afterwards somewhere we'll shoot the shite a bit more.

Special thanks to the folks at Celebration Sound in Warren, RI for the inspriation. I'm basically copying their wonderful seminars around here so I don't have to drive (or break down) to Rhode Island. Those are highly recommended and worth the effort to attend.

Later and thanks for reading...hope this is OK in General...any questions - shoot.

Mike

bigtoe
deaf.

Re: Seminar with Don Depew 11/14/04.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:41 am

have a couple people interested from the board via PM. bumping. this will be really cool...don's super super talented...musicians are welcome.

Mike

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:56 am

Hey -

This is this Sunday!

We have 2 spots left - one guy fell off the bus. PM me here if you are interested in attending and i can get ya my number.

Don has some exciting news and tricks galore. I'll be making coffee and may be bringing some snacks AND hopefully wearing pants! tune in!

i'll bump this only one more time before sunday. Thanks for looking!

Mike
PS- (brad, I called ya!)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:32 am

This sounds awesome, good job in putting it together mike!
beware bee wear

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:37 am

Sounds great, too bad it is 6 hours away and no place for me to crash.

Good luck!
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:54 am

thanks for the propers! start it in your area. i figure it's a day rate for the engineer and good facts for the rest of us for cheap...in bigger places you can hear gear you want to hear beofre buying.

and crashing at my pad is totally an option for those who want to drive! i have the kids this weekend so saturday is out...but you know...welcome to stay sunday...Columbus folks as well. Come on up!

Mike

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:56 am

will you tell us the best kit drum mic even if we can't come?

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:32 pm

um...we're still hashing that out...

Mike

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:54 am

hey -

this went off really well...some last minute news- Don is closing up shop at 609 recording (!!! an institution around here, sad to see it "go"!!!!) and setting up shop at Ante Up Audio, nice new studio on the near east side of Cleveland co-owned my engineer Mike Seifert

Mike will have some pictures up at his site soon and I'll post a link.

Tune in for the next one. Everyone expressed interest in more. Hopefully some studios around here will start holding em for a decent rate and open up the community.

So thanks to Don, Mike and Jim, Living Stereo and all who attended. The Browns got crushed. I saved you the pain. :)

To the Monday,
Mike

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:43 pm

ya, it was a blast. i gained knowledge. did you know that there's a studio in a bomb shelter from the 50's in cleveland? un-fucking-believeable!

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

brad24bit
pluggin' in mics

Post by brad24bit » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:47 pm

Had a great time, mike thanks again for putting this on. It was great to meet all you guys that surf this board. Don was great and made a lot of good points. I like what he was saying about how the buyer isn't buying the record for your kick drum sound, or becuase you use 30 mics on a drum kit. I still can't believe that room is gonna be their "B Room" I'd take it as my A room anyday. Well I hope to see more of these in the future.

Brad

BTW-Did anyone get the model of their studio monitors? I think they said you can pick em up at audio craft for like $300

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:45 am

paul - you should try booking some time at rich's. the full band thing works there so well. it's super comfy. big enough to get good sounds but small enough to be intimate... and rich rules. oh - i was crankin the redbone cd you have me- i need a pipe.

"BTW-Did anyone get the model of their studio monitors? I think they said you can pick em up at audio craft for like $300"

paradigm mini monitors...mkiii's i think. scott dorsey on rap raves about em. i had heard em out at audio craft...wasn't really blown away but i have to admit i was expecting something more ns10-y.

see y'all soon, i hopes...
Mike

loosegravel
gettin' sounds

Post by loosegravel » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:48 am

i enjoyed this seminar as well. Don rules.
"Oh MANNN, MY MOTU"