AES 117TH SAN FRAN

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

AES 117TH SAN FRAN

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:52 pm

Anyone going to San Francisco for the AES convention. I found a very inexpensive hostel right by the convention center which is not booked. Any students out there trying to do it on the cheap? This may be cool. www.pontiachotel.com

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Re: AES 117TH SAN FRAN

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:11 pm

Just a warning persevere-

I lived in SF for 8 years, practiced just down the street from there, and 6th street is total Skid Row/Crack Alley. If you park there crack will get dealt on your car hood, among the urine and trash. All the pawn shops are on sixth street between Market and Howard. I'm not saying you shouldn't stay there, just be warned beforehand. Also, if you're in the area, Tu Lan Vietnamese on Sixth and Market is the best Vietnamese restaurant EVER. And Cancun on Market around the corner is a killer burito joint.

There are two good hostels on Folsom at 8th near a good bar if you want to stay on the cheap, and relatively nearby the convention center.

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:20 pm

EEEEEEEEkkk no way! can you recommend another place?

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:26 pm

i*persevere wrote:Anyone going to San Francisco for the AES convention. I found a very inexpensive hostel right by the convention center which is not booked. Any students out there trying to do it on the cheap? This may be cool. www.pontiachotel.com
I wish I could. :( School takes priority. Nice picture of Studio 4! It's a good room, although I prefer Studio 7 personally.

Enjoy

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:29 pm

You go to IPR? What are you studying? Are you doing Pro-tools cert?

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:33 pm

i*persevere wrote:You go to IPR? What are you studying? Are you doing Pro-tools cert?
Yes I do. Going for an AAS Degree in Audio Engineering, Audio Production and Cert in Pro-Tools. I'm doing it all :D

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:36 pm

Good!!! Do you know a cool cheap place to stay in SF????

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:39 pm

No, I don't. Sorry. Infact I've never even been to SF. Been to LA. That's it as far as CA is concerned. You should have a good time though. At the very least you won't freeze your ass off.

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:43 pm

heeeheeeheee it is getting nasty. Do you think it is going to snow in the next few hours???

rhintz
audio school graduate

Post by rhintz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:58 pm

Well supposedly according to the weather channel we should expect some flurries no later then Sunday. I think we should be alright for tonight though. Ugh. I hate winter.

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:22 pm

COOL youth hostel as referred to by mysteriousmammal is the San Francisco Globe Hostel $18 per night gets you a shared dorm room with a max of 5 people $45 for a private room. 415-431-0540 is the number www.hostelz.com is where you can book online. 10 Hallam Street is the address nearest cross streets: Folsom btw. 7th and 8th St. And not a bad walk to the Convention Center.

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:07 pm

low end hotels in the City will run you about 100 a night. anything less and it's a risky neighborhood, lower prices and it's just hood. . One alternative you might think of is finding a hotel near the airport in Burlingame and take Bart or caltrain into the city. Caltrain stops several blocks from the convention center,( They might even be running a shuttle from the station to the convention, but you'd have to check the AES site for that information) ... a bart stop is even closer to the convention center... Not sure what the rates for hotels near the airport, but Burlingame is a nice city. Stay away from anything South Of MArket in SF.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:43 am

We stayed at the Metro Hotel on Divisadero, which was a really good neighborhood (Alamo Square?) and well served by public trans. It was inexpensive ($50 a few years back) and very no frills. A bed, bath facilities, a TV and that's about it.

I fucking love San Francisco.

Amute
audio school graduate

Post by Amute » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:25 am

yea bro if you do it right the Ramada on Market with a $15.00 cab ride will only cost you about $99.00 and it's a great place to stay!!
NO crack dealt on your cars hood! An oh who wants to smell bumb piss anyways!?! :wink:

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:52 am

amute wrote:An oh who wants to smell bumb piss anyways!?! icon_wink.gif
Are you kidding me? Who doesn't????

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson