Sytek MPX-4AII

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jca83
carpal tunnel

Sytek MPX-4AII

Post by jca83 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:39 pm

i've got some money coming to me to purchase a 4-channel pre. i'm going to be using it for classical and church recording situations, where high gain and low-noise are key. the Sytek seems to meet these requirements, but i can't drop that much money on something unless i've used it or at least heard it. anybody have any samples of it in action?

also, can anybody suggest something similar or better for the price?
that devil bastard protools

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Re: Sytek MPX-4AII

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:52 pm

Do you mean similar priced as in a 4 channel pre for less than $1000? There aren't too many that fit the bill. The RNP is the only thing that comes to mind, as you could get two of them for around a grand. If you are looking to spend about a grand and can settle on two channels, there are some more options to look at. Not saying they're better than the Sytek, but they're decent pres and might work for what you're trying to do.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

slowcolors
ass engineer

Post by slowcolors » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:28 pm

i think the syteks are a good value. i have a set of 4 benchmarks which are a similar design and sell for about the same. they're good super clean pres w/ lots of gain for recording acoustic instruments and are good at rendering the character of the mic/instrument rather than adding any extra character. though i wish i had a few channels of neve style pres, i can't complain about the benchmarks.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:51 pm

If you're really hurting the aphex 107 is a good buy, two channels for about $100, the 207 is pretty good too. I have a Sytek and I prefer it to the Aphex's but like i said for the money you can't beat them.

L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:24 pm

Leopold wrote:If you're really hurting the aphex 107 is a good buy, two channels for about $100, the 207 is pretty good too. I have a Sytek and I prefer it to the Aphex's but like i said for the money you can't beat them.

L
For classical?!

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:08 pm

b3groover wrote:
Leopold wrote:If you're really hurting the aphex 107 is a good buy, two channels for about $100, the 207 is pretty good too. I have a Sytek and I prefer it to the Aphex's but like i said for the money you can't beat them.

L
For classical?!
I recorded a sax trio and a flute quintet/sextet with the 107 and two akg 451s going into a fostex VF16, sounded good to me and the musicians were happy with it.

L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:32 pm

there are samples of it on easeygo's site..the tapeop mic pre listening party or whatever it was called..

i have the sytek..its not the most hi-res/ hi-fi mic amp..but it will do that job fairly well..IMHO they wouldnt be the best amps for the job..but they will not let you down either..if you need 4 channels right away to start making a better product go for it and when you make the money to upgrade trade up..or keep them like i did because they are a cool flavour..

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:07 pm

i'll utfsf for the easeygo site... i thought those might be tested at that pre party. thanks for your suggestions guys!
that devil bastard protools

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:21 pm

Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!