Mic question for Joel Hamilton (any anyone else)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Soda
ass engineer

Mic question for Joel Hamilton (any anyone else)

Post by Soda » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Joel, I saw an old post of your's about odd-ball mics. I just received (today) an Echolette Top-12 (D-12). You know the one. Right off, I was like, Bitchin! But then realized that my snake box doesn't have 1/4" inputs. I know this mic is 1/4" UNbalanced and all I really need is one of those transformer doo-hickies so I can plug the beast into my snake box. Hmmm...that sounds dirty. My questions are...what do you do when you want to use this particular mic and does it tend to rule on anything in particular?
Thanks,
Jason

Mzkguy
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Mic question for Joel Hamilton (any anyone else)

Post by Mzkguy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:53 pm

I'd cut the 1/4" conector off & replace it with an XLR. Simple...done.
Mzkguy

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:07 pm

Mzkguy wrote:I'd cut the 1/4" conector off & replace it with an XLR. Simple...done.
So long as you know how to solder correctly that is otherwise Simple...done BUT with noise!
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:22 pm

Radio Crack Catalog #: 274-017 is an adapter/transformer that will work..

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that the best way is to just use an adapter. I was told that while it is very easy to connect an XLR in place of the 1/4", this may cause the mic to act different that it normally would...noise etc... Although I'd like to put an XLR on there just for the ease of use. Hmmm. I was informed to put the hot wire on pin 2 and then the low wire would be sent to ground along with the normal ground. Is this correct? How would this make the mic noisy?
Appreciated!
Jason

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:13 pm

Soda wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm thinking that the best way is to just use an adapter. I was told that while it is very easy to connect an XLR in place of the 1/4", this may cause the mic to act different that it normally would...noise etc... Although I'd like to put an XLR on there just for the ease of use. Hmmm. I was informed to put the hot wire on pin 2 and then the low wire would be sent to ground along with the normal ground. Is this correct? How would this make the mic noisy?
Appreciated!
Jason
..what it would do is make the signal ~6db lower so more gain would be needed at the preamp stage..that can bring the noise floor up..so there is potential for a more noisey signal in that way..but it wont make the mic noisey on its own technically..

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:20 pm

So is that what the transformer/adapter would do? It has the transformer to make up for the loss in signal? Would you buy the transformer or re-wire the cable?
Thanks Beard. :D

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:07 pm

the thing the transformer would do..(and the one i linked to previously might be a cheapo one..i dont know how good it is)..is make the unbalanced signal balanced..it might be a good idea if the cable is long to cut it down anyway to reduce the size of the unbalanced end..unbal cables pick up noise more than balanced..impedance is an issue here..if the mic and the pre have a big enough mismatch it will result in less dynamics, presentness, and other good stuff..the best way for you to see is get the transformer try it..then try a regular adapter or modify the end connecter and compare and contrast..results will vary from gear to gear..transformers deal with voltage and serve to increase the volts going in on output depending on the turns ratio..that translates in to decibel volts and i think the un bal to bal xfrmrs work out to be ~6 decibels hotter on the output..

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Muchas Gracias. I'll give it a go.
j.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:10 am

Soda:

My Echolette D12 "top 12" has an XLR on it. They should! I am not sure why yours would have a 1/4" termination!?!?

Have you checked to see if someone just put that on there at some point? Like three wires, but just ganging two of them to the sleeve?

I will look at mine and see if it is simply a two wire jobbie going into an XLR, as I have some SABA mic's that are like that.

Use the D12 anywhere you want some wooly, and I mean WOOLY low end. I do like the fact that the echolette model has a slightly smaller head than the standard AKG d12. I have put it in all the usual places, like in front of a kick drum, or a bass cabinet, or in the corner, or screaming into it, or whatever. Try it on anything, they are fun microphones!

Nice choice. I have a thing for echolette stuff..

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:57 am

Joel I finally went to the vsa site you have linked underneath your signature...so you're the guy with that cool funny looking copperphone mic! I saw your site ages ago when looking for a decent pic of the ML52 to send to a friend. I remember thinking that the copperphone just looked cool and now I've just heard the samples on the Placid Audio site...shouldn't have done that....now I want one! So Book of Knots has finished the album and it's in stores now huh, are they going to tour at all? I'd love to hear what the music sounds like. Cheers.

Sorry back to the D12 stuff about which I have no input.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:50 am

I met Mark, the guy who makes the Copperphone, at a show recently, he's a super nice guy. I'm totally in need of one of those too, for $250 it's a pretty good deal.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Soda
ass engineer

Post by Soda » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:44 pm

Okay, first off, thanks everyone for helping with my trivial problem.
So I got myself one of those 1/4 to XLR adaptors but I don't think it's the one with the transformer in it. I plugged it into my snake box and then to an API pre -> tape machine. NO SIGNAL AT ALL. WTF! :cry: Why am I not getting any signal with the adapter on? Then I took the adapter off and plugged the mic's 1/4 plug straight into the DI input on the API pre. This worked better. Joel, you say yours has an XLR end. Mine has a built in cable that's about 25 feet long with an old brass 1/4" on it. I tried to take the end off but it doesn't seem to want to unscrew. I'll give another shot but I'm tempted to cut the fucker off and see what's going on. :evil:
If anyone has anything else to offer, I'd be greatful.
J.Soda

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:10 pm

cut the fucker off!!!!

you canalways re-solder another 1/4" connector

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:12 pm

Hmm... "old brass 1/4" that doesnt want to screw off...."

Is it a big old Military connector? I have seen some of these mics wired with those for use with old style "longframe/military" connectors so they could be plugged right into the patchbay, rather than using the XLR that came on them as far as I know. Mine has a fixed cable as well, but with an XLR on the end.
Good luck!

I would personally just cut the cable and put an XLR on it, then begin troubleshooting.

Old plugs are the first thing to suspect.