A man and his staggered studs.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
penelec
steve albini likes it

A man and his staggered studs.

Post by penelec » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:16 pm

Whoever this guy is, I think he oughta be interviewed in Tape Op. Though he's pimpin' the audiophiliac tendency, his documentation is outta sight. I was rebuilding a room, and everything I needed to know was here.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: A man and his staggered studs.

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:29 pm

penelec wrote:Whoever this guy is...
I am a 65-year-old music lover, and engineer. I have played the piano since age 5 and at one point seriously considered a career as a pianist. My grandfather played clarinet in the Philadelphia Philharmonic Orchestra, my father played the piano, and my mother played the violin. I grew up with a lot of music, and it is one of the major loves in my life.

In my engineering persona I have a BS from Caltech, masters degrees in Mathematics and EE from USC, and a Ph.D. in engineering from USC. I was named a Fellow of the IEEE in 1992 (I am no longer a member). Now retired, I have had a very enjoyable 35-year career working at the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (during the Apollo era), as a visiting professor at the Technical University of Denmark, and with a great group of engineers at Toyon, a small research firm in Santa Barbara. My specialties are electromagnetics, signal processing, and systems engineering. This is a near-ideal background for sound system design. The mathematics of sound and electromagnetic waves is very similar, and it has been great fun to translate my knowledge of one into the other. My wife Cynthia Brown is a Professor of French at UCSB. My "need" to play music at ear-splitting volume levels occasionally conflicts with her need for a quiet place to study, which was a causative factor in my decision to construct a soundproof music room.
Wow, it's going to take a while to read all of his info, but thanks for the link.