cheap pre

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

cheap pre

Post by transmothra » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:20 pm

i just got a midiman (m-audio) mic pre from eBay and (of course) it doesn't work. now i need to find a DIRT cheap mic pre that sounds serviceable. any recommendations? i can't emphasize enough how poor i really am right now! anyone who wants me to spend $1247 is crazed in the head... i mean DIRT cheap. like a hundred bucks or something along those lines! thanks....
...do you believe that?
Scarlett 212 1st Gen | Reaper | PreSonus Eris E5/A-T ATH-M20x
transmothra.com

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: cheap pre

Post by leigh » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:31 pm

How about that Studio Projects VTB-1? That's more like $180 street, tho.

I bet a used ART Tube MP could be found for well under a $100.

Here's one for $75. That seems about average, according to the Prepal listing for that unit.

Happy hunting,
Leigh

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:18 pm

Didn't somebody mention something about an 8-Channel pre that musician's friend or someplace like that was selling for $99? It may have been a few weeks ago... $99 for 8 channels certainly qualifies as dirt cheap in my books.

m.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:35 pm

Borrow something worth using.
I would rather use the pre's in a tascam portastudio than some suspect thing...

find a broken 4track with pre's in it. that would be cheap.

I got one for 5 dollars and I love the weird little pre's in that thing. Makes whatever you run through it sound like a four track cassette recording. People dont realise how much of the sound of those four tracks, like it or not, is the mic pre, not the "awesome tape sound" of a cassette.
I like it.
Last edited by joel hamilton on Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:37 pm

Leigh- thanks! i almost forgot about the ART MPs... and it reminded me that i read a glowing review of the new TPS rack unit (2x MP/V3) recently. i might be willing to shell out the few extra bucks for that one ($180 almost anywhere, list about $220).

miamidevice- thanks, i think this is the one:
SM Pro Audio PR8
looks pretty basic, but you can't beat 8 channels for a hundred bucks! i really only need two, though, and that one looks a little too basic.
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:41 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Borrow something worth using.
I would rather use the pre's in a tascam portastudio than some suspect thing...

find a broken 4track with pre's in it. that would be cheap.

I got one for 5 dollars and I love the weird little pre's in that thing. Makes whatever you run through it sound like a four track cassette recording. People dont realise how much of the sound of those four tracks, like it or not, is the mic pre, not the "awesome tape sound" of a cassette.
I like it.
alas, i don't know anyone :( and i never cared much for the 4 track sound. been there, done that, as they say... and i'd like to put it safely behind me for the time being :D
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:44 pm

If you can find one, you might try for a Pro MPA instead of the TPS. I really like mine--I think I paid $250on eBay, and I tend to jump too soon and pay too much. Anyway I love it.

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:23 pm

The Studio Projects VTB is only 129-, I think new on E-Bay there's a bunch. I'd steer away from the ART MP, I used to use one before I knew what a real pre sounded like. Seems like the Studio Projects has gotten much better user feedback.

Good luck.

K.S.

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:26 pm

The Studio Projects VTB is only 129-, I think new on E-Bay there's a bunch. I'd steer away from the ART MP, I used to use one before I knew what a real pre sounded like. Seems like the Studio Projects has gotten much better user feedback.

Good luck.

K.S.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:47 pm

62junior wrote:The Studio Projects VTB is only 129-, I think new on E-Bay there's a bunch. I'd steer away from the ART MP, I used to use one before I knew what a real pre sounded like. Seems like the Studio Projects has gotten much better user feedback.

Good luck.

K.S.
That is correct, the street price is now only $129.99...
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247
toll free: 877-563-6335 fax: 310-323-9050
url: www.pmiaudio.com e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:24 pm

I have a VTB-1 and really like it. I knew they were supposed to be an "exceptional value" pre, but I was completely surprised with the results.

Alan, didn't I read something about a rackmount kit for the VTB-1 in the near future? Or am I losing it?

-mark
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:46 pm

transmothra wrote:now i need to find a DIRT cheap mic pre that sounds serviceable. any recommendations?
Consider an older mixer with direct outs instead of a single pre. I have a Tascam Model 3, I guess one of the early project studio boards, still fairly expensive in its day. It has 8 preamps (6 are XLRs) and 8 channels of monitoring (handy), $150 in my case. It is a bit noiser than a Mackie, but the pres are less cheesy, nothing to sneeze at, when 'serviceable' and 'dirt cheap' are priorities. They are literally serviceable too.

I suspect there are other similar mixers lying around all over. Even if a channel or 2 is out, you have several channels to work for about the price of a new budget pre. Prolly no phantom power though.

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:09 pm

wow, all great suggestions... thanks! i think i really want the VTB-1, but i kinda need two, so i think the new ART TPS is what i'm-a keep my eye out for.
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:11 pm

the VTB-1 and the ART are the only two pres i've used enough to compare, and thus i feel qualified to make this statement: the VTB-1 totally kicks the ART's ass six ways from christmas.

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:20 pm

saag paneer wrote:the VTB-1 and the ART are the only two pres i've used enough to compare, and thus i feel qualified to make this statement: the VTB-1 totally kicks the ART's ass six ways from christmas.
you talking about the NEW one? the rackmount dual-V3 one? i'm talking about V3 or the rackmount version, the TPS.
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com