Bad Cat amps, speaker mods

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Bad Cat amps, speaker mods

Post by cashed checks » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:39 pm

everyone knows these amps rule like no other but i've been wonderring about their "specially modified" Celestion vintage 30s they use. i want to retrofit an old cab i have with some vintage 30s and thought i might be able to mod them the same way. any techies out there know what they do? I might just end up contacting Bad Cat to see if they'd sell me some, but probably not seeing as how it's probably a big selling point for the amps. All i know is i'll never be able to justify paying that much for an amp so all i'm asking is for a little slice of tone pie. mmmmm... tone pie.... *drool*

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Bad Cat amps, speaker mods

Post by Meriphew » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:01 pm

I believe Matchless does the same thing. Try a google search for "Matchless (or Bad Cat) Celestion speaker mod" or something like that.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:03 pm

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:36 pm

From what I've been told, the secret mod is that they use acetone to wipe off the stiff glue on the edge of the cone to "break them in" immediately. You ever notice how brand new speakers need a while to break in before they sound right? Well that's the theory behind the "mod."

Roger