Tannoy PBM 6.5 vs Tannoy Proto J

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
earl parameter
buyin' gear

Tannoy PBM 6.5 vs Tannoy Proto J

Post by earl parameter » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:08 pm

would you get a fairly well used pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5's or a new pair of Proto J's. i can get them for the same price ($150) and i would really like to try out tannoy's. ive only heard them a few times (reveals, yes i know they won't compare, but...) and i liked what i heard. i would be using them mainly for mixing. right now i use monitor two's that i got really cheap and i hate them frankly. but im sure they will work well in an A/B setup. the amp im using is an ra-100. so if anyone has used either of these or hopefully both, i want to hear what you have to say. oh and this is for a bedroom setup pc based.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Re: Tannoy PBM 6.5 vs Tannoy Proto J

Post by earl parameter » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:30 pm

or should i just say screw it and go with a pair of used event 20/20 passives for $175

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:02 am

I like the 6.5s, but haven't heard the Proto-Js. I've always liked most of the Tannoy stuff I've heard. The active Event speakers sound pretty good, but don't have very wide dispersion, so the sound changes pretty dramatically when you move your head from side to side.

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:13 am

I've used both extensively and given the choice would have both. The Proto Js are all about smiley curve, but can be very useful for this reason. When the lack of uppermid/treble starts to bother me I crave PBM 6.5s which are all about the midrange. Both are great bang for the buck and can be learned but even with both pairs side by side (both are far from flat) I would not say they are an end all. You get what you pay for.

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:11 am

hi there,

pbm 6.5's are great. I have used them for 10+ years and I know them very well. I would buy another pair for 150 just to have another pair as they also make great home speakers. GET EM

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:31 am

My Proto-J pair was my first set of "real" monitors. I still use them quite a bit in the lounging area of my place, where we check reference cds. I think the smiley curve does a great job of representing the typical home/computer listening environment. I also use the 110B sub, and power the satelittes with a Dynaco Stereo 70 just for kicks ;)

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:07 am

thanks for the replies. i picked up the proto j's, because the price dropped a bit and i almost missed out. ive been looking for decent smileys but i didn't think these would be them, i checked the spec sheet against the reveals and the J's look to be flatter in comparison, and have a better low end coverage. i hope im not wrong. i was thinking earlier that i might pass on the PBM 6.5's and save a bit longer and get a pair of reveal actives. but i might have to reconsider that after seeing the spec sheet on them. if anyone has anything to say about this id like to hear it. ill be in the $500 range at that point and would like to bypass the ra-100 and see if im missing anything (im sure i am). maybe there is something else i should be looking at. KRK's maybe? something flat, full and detailed. maybe too much to ask for at that price. but im also looking at an i/o upgrade, a few new mics, and one day a ghost.