ProTools LE 5.x and 6.x on dual-boot Mac?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
PT
pushin' record

ProTools LE 5.x and 6.x on dual-boot Mac?

Post by PT » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:17 pm

Is anyone running ProTools on both sides of their dual-boot Mac? With success?

I just got PT LE 6.4, tried to install it with OS 10.3, only to find it needs OS 10.3.2 or higher. So I get the latest version on OSX, 10.3.5, only to find ProTools LE 6.4 has major issues with 10.3.5.

So...I'm thinking of installing the last, and hopefully stable, version of PT LE 5.? on the OS9 side of my Mac. Will this work out? Are the two sides of my Mac truly independent? Or will I run into some bullshit?

I'm not trying to use "classic" mode. I'd be installing totally on the OS9 side of my hard drive.

Help is most appreciated.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Re: ProTools LE 5.x and 6.x on dual-boot Mac?

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:22 pm

I have PT 6.4LE on OS 10.3.2 running well. I also have 5.2.1 on os 9.22. I have problems going back and forth between the two my os 9 system takes 3 or 4 tries to boot. Works great after that. But is a pain when a client is behind me. I need to update my Wave bundle so I do not have to go back.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:28 pm

I have my computer HD partitioned with one part for OS9 and one for OS X. I've been running it like this since PT came out for OS X and have never run into any problems, although I never use OS 9 anymore for PT. PT is not certified to run on 10.3.5 but it works great on 10.3.4. I would try 10.3.4 first and if everything works fine on your computer don't bother with OS 9. Plus PT 6.7 will be out before too long and will finally have beat detective for LE. :D

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:34 pm

I have my system drive partitioned and I have OS 10.3.5 on one partition and OS 9.2.2 on the other. I have the computer set to automatically boot to 10.3.5, but if I hold the option key while starting up a chooser screen comes up and I can choose OS 9.

I run PT LE 5.x (the 32 track beta- last OS9 release) on OS 9 and PT LE6.4 on OS 10.3.5.

Both are rock solid and no problems. I try to use the PT LE 6.4 as much as possible for tracking, etc. but I have to mix on OS 9 due to CPU power and plug ins.

There's no need to save the files in any special way either, as they open up fine in either version as long as I don't update the faders to +12 in PT LE 6.4.

I've been using a dual boot system this way for about a year and a half with no problems. I don't know how much the partitioning helps but I feel like it does.

What are the "major issues" with OS 10.3.5 and PTLE 6.4? Like I said I never mix in PTLE 6.4 but I've never come across any minor issues with this combo, let alone major ones!

Oh- I'm running an 001, btw.

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:09 am

i run my system just like maz. i track and edit in x and mix in 9. i haven't had any problems switching back and forth and it all behaves admirably. i'm running a dual 1ghz g4/001.

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:59 am

Well, it looks like if I had only updated OSX to 10.3.4, I would be just fine. The digidesign website says PT LE 6.4 is NOT qualified to work with OSX 10.3.5. And in my experience, 6.4 and 10.3.5, indeed, don't mix. Apparently there are some major firewire issues. I've been getting a lot of errors saying "Can't get audio fast enough from drive, Firewire may be bogged down, etc..." The biggest problem is my Firewire drive being dropped in mid-session. It's as if I just turned the power off on the drive. I've actually lost data.

So...It seem that all this will be fixed in a couple of days when PT LE 6.7 is released. 6.7 is qualified with 10.3.5. The only problem is those Digidesign jackasses want me to pay $75.

So another question would be: how hard is it to "erase" my Mac, reinstally OSX 10.3, then install the 10.3.4 update? Is this an ass-backwards idea, all to save 75$?

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:56 am

I run pt 5 32 track beta on 9 on a seperate drive. I've been running it on 9 for 2 years, so I'm used to the reboot. I'm tracking on PT6, but PT5 is where all my dope plugins are...so I mix on PT5.

PT6 would be better if you want to use reason and live more, but they're not really my bag.

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:09 am

Some of you guys have mentioned using OSX to track, but OS9 to mix.

Is this mainly because of your plugin situation? Maz, you mentioned CPU power being an issue.

I want to move over to OSX because PT 6.x, apparently, takes advantage of the dual-processor macs (I have a 1.2 GHz dual G4). So it would seem mixing would be better in OSX.

Let me know what's up.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:15 am

PT wrote:Some of you guys have mentioned using OSX to track, but OS9 to mix.

Is this mainly because of your plugin situation? Maz, you mentioned CPU power being an issue.

I want to move over to OSX because PT 6.x, apparently, takes advantage of the dual-processor macs (I have a 1.2 GHz dual G4). So it would seem mixing would be better in OSX.

Let me know what's up.
For me it's a plug in and CPU issue. I don't think PT takes great advantage of dual proc's, but that's when 6 first came out- it may be better now.